1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for info on these Flashcards for 3ds.

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by lazytitan, Jan 23, 2014.

1. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

***Meant to type Flashcart each time not Flash Cards...my bad***

Hello all, I haven't been on this site in a few years now but was thinking of getting a 3ds here with my tax return and saw something about some flashcards and from what I can tell they are similar to that R4 cartridge back when I had my DS some time ago. Where you would slid a SD card in the cartridge and play games of that.

Anyways is there anywhere to get any info on these. I have tried google with little to know help and was hoping would find some documentation on it here.

Just wanted to know...

Are there multiple kinds?
    Do they play 3DS games?
    What are the limitations of it? (Do I have to have a 3DS for some firmware)
    How well do they work?
    Do they even exists?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. xbox09

xbox09 Member

3. leslielee

leslielee Member

if you want to buy 3ds game with your 3ds, here i can recommend you 3 kind of cards, they are r4i gold 3ds deluxe edition, gateway 3ds, mt- card.they all can work on 3ds and has a similar feature but different price.

4. Anniemoon

Anniemoon Member

5. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

Thanks for the quick answer, I have found some other sources as well but that thread cleared up my biggest question about it NEEDING to be on certain firmware.

One question though, at this link

http://www.dsflashcart.com/r4i-gold-3ds-wood-r4i-3ds-flashcard-for-ds-dsi-3ds-p-248.html

it says

"News: 3ds/3ds xl firmware today has been updated to V7.1.0-15, this r4i gold 3ds card is working great on this new firmware and all the cards we send out will be preflashed and working on your 3ds/3ds xl latest firmware directly. (2014.1.23)

Working for 2ds, 3ds xl, 3ds, dsi, ds lit. it doesn't matter what firmware version does your console have, this card will be working great on it."

Does this mean I don't need to worry about firmware now? Also why is that card $20 vs the $70+ on two other cards I have seen?

6. Anniemoon

Anniemoon Member

7. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

I see so yes will need 4.1 - 4.5 which i am finding a bunch on ebay. One last thing then. What is this stuff i read about bricking you 3DS? is this just part of the risk or is there a cause to this.

***EDIT***
    Also does it matter its a 3DS or a 3DS XL? I pretty sure its fine but making sure before i buy one.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. Anniemoon

Anniemoon Member

ok, it's a long story about it, the rough description is the gateway 3ds is the original card and the other cards (R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe, 3dslink, mt card), because gateway 3ds official team put a brick code on their gateway kernel, and the other clones team didn't notice this code and just use the same kernel on their cards, then some users got bricked. now this thing has been sovled, make sure use the latest kernel will be fine. if you buy the gateway 3ds card, make sure use the gateway 3ds official kernel, download it from the official site, if you buy the other, just download the kernel from the other official site of the card. this is for 3ds game flashcarts. if you buy the cheaper cards for playing ds games, there is no brick so far.

9. Anniemoon

Anniemoon Member

and yeah, it doesn't matter its a 3ds or 3ds xl.

10. Polaris813

Polaris813 Regular member

what i think is, right now, 3ds flashcart (gateway / r4i deluxe / mt card) is not very safe and not stable.
    If you want to try, first, get a v4.1-4.5 console, then buy a gateway (gateway is not safe, but others more dangerous), last, use gateway 3ds official firmware v1.2, not v2.0b2. not 2.0b1, both of them maybe ban your console.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014