1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for pro's at copying movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by swm04a, Dec 16, 2004.

1. swm04a

swm04a Member

i am searching for someone who can advise me on what software to buy, i have dell inspiron notebook and i just recently purchased a dvd burner for it, my only goal is to take movies i borrow from friends and make copies for myself, movies such as Van Helsing, Man on fire, just to give you an example what kinda movies i mean. and advise someone could give me would be amazing thanks for your time in reading this!

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can get the software for free and you can find all you need to know right here http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

By the way I sure hope you got your friends permission first ;-)

[​IMG]

4. swm04a

swm04a Member

thanks to both of you and i just want to put you mind at ease...i have very generous friends ;)

5. swm04a

swm04a Member

bbmayo i dont know if you have any knowledge about dell laptops i was wondering if the fact that i only have one drive on my laptop and that is my cd burner weather or not that is goin to hinder my burning process, if you know anything about this i would appreciate your continious generosity.
    thanks again.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Any lap Top will hinder certain tasks. Most people buy a lap top for portability. If you are going to be using your computer on the move a lot then a lap top is a good thing. However I have seen people buy lap tops and they never leave off of there desk?? This puzzles me? You will always do way better with a desk top PC. If a lap top is all you have to work with though then you don't have much choice.
    Personally Dell Lap Top's are close to the top of the list for me (not the very top, but close) The main thing people should consider when buying a lap top is warranty and service, and Dell is pretty good at that. Why you ask warranty and service? Because it is going to malfunction sooner or later that I can promise. So you need a good service plan. If you buy a good name brand DVD writer you should be alright. It may cost you more but you might want to go with one Dell provides this would be more likley be compatable with your lap top and produce the best results. A lot of people on here are having problems with external burner's so shop wisely.
    Your cd ROM will not hinder your DVD backing up process. What will hinder it? Not a lot of memory, to many apps running during the process, bad quality media. If your lap top is running smooth you should be alright. Just remember the Re-authoring process puts a lot of strain on your processor so don't multi task (like I do) :p while backing up DVD's. Everthing is probablly multiplied by 2 when you are talking about a lap top because they run hot.
    OK now that I gave you a lot to think about I will say I wish you the best of luck and happy holidays :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  7. swm04a

swm04a Member

preciate it again bbmayo, i did spend a little extra and get the burner that fits into my internal modular bay, one more ? how much memory do you think i should have free on my hard drive when burning a good size movie, bravee heart for example?
    thanks again and dont feel like you have to rush to answer
    happy holidays.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You mean how much space should you have on your HD. I would say 10 GB is enough for any movie just remember if thats all you have left you better delete the movie off of your HD when finished. It is always best to have as much HD space available as possible your computer will just run smoother :). You may even want to invest in a external HD like a 250GB or 120GB this way you can just rip your movies onto the hard drive and re-author and burn them when you get around to it. Thats what I do I have 6 movies on my HD right now that I haven't backed up yet :) what can I say I'm lazy LOL. This is also good if you run out of disks and are waiting on your order to arrive :)

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member