1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for store quality dvd printer

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by hagarfan, Feb 28, 2005.

1. hagarfan

hagarfan Member

I'm a newbie to dvd burning and such, but I've learned quite a bit in the past few months. I wanted to ask those more experienced about printable dvd. I've seen both the Epson R300 and the similar Canon model "direct to disc" printers at places like Best Buy and Staples. I did the water test and the ink smeared on the sample discs they had. Is there a model of dvd printer for less than say...$1000 that will produce store quality dvds? I found this machine and I know that it's very expensive.
    http://www.arcal.com/prbrdipu.html
    So do I have to shell out the big bucks to achieve the qaulity I'm after? Also, does anyone on here use a color laser printer for their dvd artwork and what model and quality do you get?
    Thanks!
    -Keith

2. hugabone

hugabone Member

There are a few options. I have two Dvd inkjet printers but Im still not totally happy with them. Only way to get something close to commercial quality by using an inkjet is to coat or laminate it. People have had success using acrylic spray. Or you could by a Primera cd/dvd laminator for under 1500 on Ebay.

Even then you may not be satisfied. Im getting into dvd/cd publishing so Im getting a full color thermal transfer unit. I have a sample that was printed on using an Everest. There is no comparison. The Everest doesnt quite have the resolution as the inkjets but it more than makes up in other areas. I made a print on my inkjets using the same file that was printed on the Everest. Its like nite and day, but you are comparing a 99 dollar printer to a 4500 printer.

If you are trying to stay in a reasonable price range then get the Primera laminator and the R200. Thats as close you can get to commercial quality w/o spending more money. Or just go with the spray.

Im still trying to find the most cost effiecient way to print artwork. Inkjet is too damn expensive. Im looking to get a color laser but havent decided which model.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005