1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for the right Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ch4in54w, Jun 2, 2007.

1. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

Hey Im thinking about upgrading my camcorder, I currently have the Sony Handicam TRV25. I was thinking about getting a new one but im not sure what is better, one that writes to an internal HDD, or one that writes to DVD?

Im not looking to spend a fortune either, somewhere in the $300-$400 (maybe $500 if its amazing) Ive seen some hybrid ones that are DVD and HDD, but they didnt recieve very good reviews.. the HDD was only 8gb as well, that brings me to my next question, how much time/space does a HDD use and hold? basically my miniDV tapes hold 60mins, so what is HDD space of 60min equal to? any suggestions for a camcorder?

thanks!

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I would first aske myself the question why to "upgrade" from miniDV to HDD or DVD. MinDV still offers the highest quality video compression. If you upgrade to HDD atleast get yourself HighDef, but it will be diffcilt to find that within your budget.
    To answer your question about capacity: HDD camcorders store in MPEG format and it depends on the compression settings that you use how much capacity one hour takes. For proper quality I would not select a setting below 4GB per hour or so.

3. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

because I only have a laptop and no form of video capture, so I dont know how I would get the video online..

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If that is the only reason: you can buy a PCMCIA Firewire card for your laptop and use that to transfer your video. Much cheaper than buying a new camcorder ;-)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  5. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

no firewire here either.. got USB lol

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, if you buy a Firewire PCMCIA card for your laptop you WILL have a Firewire connection, because that is what its is"a card that creates a Firewire port on a laptop....