1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for util to convert DVDs to user-definable filesize

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by sshrum, Apr 22, 2007.

1. sshrum

sshrum Member

I'm in the process of converting all my DVDs to AVI files to store on my terabyte NAS. I'm looking for a util that will let me convert the DVDs to a user definable filesize (I'd like all my movies to be between 700 and 800 megs. So far the only tools that I've found that allow for this sort of feature are gauged toward mobile devices but they tend to reduce the video size (320x240) without options for keeping the original video res. I'd like to retain the video res but lower it's quality as well as reduce the audio quality.

What is everyone else using to do this?

TIA

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

What you are looking for is to convert them to Mpeg4 format (DivX or Xvid). They will be about 700MB files.
    Here is the site
    http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/
    Computer player will play those files no problem, even some newer standalone players will play them too.

3. S2K

S2K Regular member

You do realize at current Hard driv prices a 4 gig film is about $1 to store. and a 5 gig filnm is about $1.25.

If yo convert down to 800m you will trash quality and spend you own labor to boot balanced against that.

You also will certainly note the difference on 20 year old analogue TV. If you plan to buy say a 37" HD 720 for the street price now of $550 or so, o next year for even less, you are sure going to see the poor picture from your quality reduction to get to that file size.

A 400gb hdd costs about $85 if you look around and will hold 80 to 100 films with no extra compression whatsoever. think of the labor you are going to spend to come out wiht worse results

4. sshrum

sshrum Member

Noted...but the intent here is to find a happy medium between home use and PMP use...1 gig to 700 megs makes for fair viewing on a large screen and small enough to fit a couple shows on memory sticks or SD cards.