1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking to make a backup up copy of Minority Report

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ra1n, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Ra1n

Ra1n Member

I'm looking to make a backup up copy of Minority Report which is 2:25 in length. I have no knowledge or experience in burning a dual layered disc to a dvdr and this will be my first attempt at doing so. The programs I have are Anydvd, dvdclone and dvdshrink. How can I burn a movie of this length using those programs, onto one single dvd and still maintain almost 100% picture quality? I don't care about extra features, but I would like to keep the main menu and subtitles. I'm trying to avoid using 2 discs, but if I must use 2, how is it done? (I will be watching this movie on a 32 inch hdtv, so quality is important) Can someone list how this can be accomplished in simple, straightforward steps?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Use VobBlanker and blank out all the extra features.

Rip the movie using AnyDVD. Then open the DVD Folder using VobBlanker.

Go to "Titles=>Blank All"

Next, find the VTS with the main movie. Select it and click on "Skip".

Under settings, place a check on "use input folder".

Hit process. VobBlanker should finish in about 5 seconds. Close VobBlanker.

Next, open the folder with DVD Shrink. This will let you shrink the movie more if needed or just create an ISO if not.

Process the movie and use the "Create ISO Image" option. Also, if it is compressing, make sure that Deep Analysis is checked. After a couple of minutes, you will have an ISO image.

Next, use ImgBurn to burn the ISO to DVDR.

3. Ra1n

Ra1n Member

Will compressing reduce the picture quality? I can not even fit an 84 min movie onto one disc unless its compressed; I'm not sure what compressing actually does.

I'm even more confused by your method. I'm about ready to give up burning dvds and just stick to original copies.

Is there a video tutorial of your steps somewhere?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  4. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

5. Ra1n

Ra1n Member

I will give that guide a go and let you know what the hell happens.

What is the difference between 100% compression and 63% compression? Does it affect the picture quality or what?

6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

100% compression means it is not being compressed so it will be 100% quality.

63% compression means it is being compressed to 63% of the original size. It will take a HUGE hit in quality. The larger and better your screen the more you will notice it.

When you use VobBlanker to blank the extra features, you will scarcely find a movie that needs to be compressed. You can go 1 step further by using menushrink to compress the menus to still images instead of motion menus. For movies like Star Wars, it will save up to 1GB by compressing the menus alone!!!

If you really want to avoid compressing, you can also cut out the ending credits. Don't cut all the credits if you do this. Leave a few seconds so that the movie doesn't just end.

7. Ra1n

Ra1n Member

Im completely confused by vobblanker. I would really like to avoid compressing anything because picture quality is most important to me. Can I achieve the same results with dvd shrink or dvdfab as vobblanker? And what is the next step once I've turned the moive into an iso file? (some movies will burn in full with 100% quality, thank god)

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

How about using a dvd+r DL and booktyped to dvd-rom and burnt with imgburn? 100% quality and no compression. BTW use verbatim dvd+r DL discs or in a pinch ritek 2.4x +r DL

9. Ra1n

Ra1n Member

dvdr dl are to expensive.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  10. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

11. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

ra1n

use dvd shrink
    go to re-author
    open the movie
    choose the language u want and movie only let see how much gb it iwll get you to

12. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Ripit Used to do Movie+Menu

I believe Dvdfab HD Decrypter Platinum Does Movie+Menu and a customized Rip. It's a Pay program.

You Can Download a Trial Version

About the evaluation period
    All of the software is distributed as shareware. You can install and try them for 30 days. During this evaluation period, the software is fully functional. To continue using the software after the 30-day evaluation period, you will have to pay a registration fee.

http://www.dvdfab.com

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  13. Ra1n

Ra1n Member

I'm always late to the party. I've nailed burning dvds/shrinking them down without quality loss, but I made the mistake of buying a 100pk of memorex dvdrs. From what Ive been reading, these discs are crap and will not last more than a few years. Is this true? And i cant return them because I opened them. Would brands like Sony, Fuji, Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim be better to go with next time around?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@djkrishna

Man you made it simple enough right there with dvdshrink that gets the job done..I had the movie transformers on a old windata dvd+r dl 8.5gb size was 7.48gb's and tranfered it over to a Verbatim Dvd+r 4.7Gb came out at 4.53gb's with no problem shaved off 2.95gb's and the movie had better Quality picture then the Windata did.I had no problems in Quality with using shrink..