1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord of the Rings Return of the King Backup "freezing"

Discussion in 'PS2' started by shamgod, Feb 13, 2004.

1. shamgod

shamgod Member

I'm a [bold]real[/bold] newb here so bare with me. My friend backed up my Lord of the Rings, Return of the King game by EA games. I have a swap disc type chip but i dont know what model. I also have a Gameshark.

The method I use is this:
    1)have GS disc in PS2 when it is off
    2)hold on reset and allow GS to load
    3)put in regular PS2 game after ejecting GS disc with the eject button
    4) Go to "start games without codes"
    5) release reset and swap PS2 game with Backup.
    6) Press x or R1, R2 and O

This method works for most of my backups.
    It ends up loading until the screen says "loading. . ." and then the PS2 makes a repetitive noise and doesnt run. My friend says you need a special way for loading in EA games. I dont have any other ideas. The backup is a dvd-r disc. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  2. TheAssman

TheAssman Guest

Im pretty new to the mod scene too but from what I understand you need to patch EA games to make them run. check http://www.megagames.com they have tons of patches for ps2 backups. Good luck.

The Assman

3. shamgod

shamgod Member

So the game would have to be re-burnt with a patch?

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

did you try swaping the dvd with a dvdr?

load GS... eject... insert original dvd(any dvd game will do but it better be with big toc like gta3 vice city dmc or dmc2)... then wait atleast 30secs... after that go to that menu that says "please insert game and press X".... swap the dvd with a dvdr and press X the game should boot normaly now... it works and tested....

5. trim17

trim17 Member

Hey, I have burnt Lord of the Rings: The Return of the king, and it worked all and well. Until like half-way thru the game it freezes, and has extensive loading during game play. This is an EA game and there are no available patches ...yet. Leave Reply

6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

i got me all the 3 of the lotr games and guess what?

they skip.. they frezee... and worst of all it's begging to annoy me that retail games do this... they all original ones..

this crap happens to this kind of games cuz of dust... finger prints.. scraches... the ROTK dvd wouldnt even boot normaly... and it get stuck on the THX intro that skips and wont let me play movies the rest of the game... i say BLAME EA!!!

7. trim17

trim17 Member

So you think it is the actual game itself, not the copy? Cause i know LOTR harldy had any loading, maybe when you play the ps2 gets overloaded and has to load all the time. Well I have copied many games for ps2 and LOTR: Return of the king is the only one that has given me problems. I use alcohol 120% and use memorex dvd-r media.

8. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

Personally I think it's a combination of your media and a weak PS2 (if original games skip). I had problems with backing up games like Prince of Persia or Legaia 2. They kept skipping (it takes like 2 minutes to load some scenes) when I burned it to Princo DVD-R. I reburned them onto Maxell DVD-R and they work fine. My advice: Get medias that actually says ON THE BOX [BOLD]MADE IN JAPAN[\BOLD].

Don't trust the brand names. Big brands such as Verbatim, Fujifilm and Maxell outsource to different manufacturers for their medias. Look for the "Made in Japan" line and you'll probably be fine. Avoid anything that says Made in Taiwan, they typically make the worst discs.

By the way, Memorex (unless it says Made in Japan) really suck.

9. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

o sure a "weak" ps2 a brand new v7 ps2 that only dont play LOTR games... you know what that IS weak... and i still blame EA... as for made in japan that is 100% correct... my TDK says made in japan... and same goes for my ritek... but that one says made in usa sometimes and sometimes in japan...

10. Morace

Morace Member

I had similar problems with lord of the rings, but after i cleaned the disk, really shined it up, it works fine. The trouble with LOTR is that due to the music and graphic quality, it almost constantly reads the disk, so puts stress on the disk. Even little smudges/scratches cause the game to skip, so you really need to polish the disk to get it to read ok.

I used Stomp Record Now Max to backup the game, which is the only program i have had 100% success with. Reading it on Min setting, and doing the same for writing.
    I used Verbatim DVD-R (4*) disks.

11. billz

billz Active member

i use to have a v4 that skipped all the time on lotr rotk but not once on any other game. THe game doesn't skip once on my rarely used v7.I think it has to do with the laser.I think the constant reading makes it difficult to read for any laser but ones with wear and tear on them have more diffculty hence there's no real solution outside a new laser.

12. billz

billz Active member

also the ea problem disappeared along time ago unless ur still using usb mod