1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing random keypresses on ASUS X54C laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Afexnine, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Afexnine

Afexnine Member

I recently bought an ASUS X54C laptop second-hand, and its been running fine, except for one issue thats been annoying me quite a bit. Whenever Im typing, it seems like random keypresses are not going through, perhaps one in every 10-15 letters. It seems to be happening to all of the buttons, not just specific ones. Ive tried performing a factory reset to avail.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

dirty keyboard maybe? try a can of air or use an air compressor to clean the keyboard. try an usb keyboard to see if still happens or not.

3. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Using an USB keyboard is a good idea. Definitely sounds like a dirty keyboard, but usually they act up on very specific keys.

With "chiclet keyboards" even very small pieces of dirt (breadcrumbs in particular) can cause all sorts of problems. Usually you feel them under the keys, though. If you're very unlucky some fluids may have been spilled on the keyboard. If a USB keyboard works, you might want to look into replacing the keyboard. It's pretty straightforward.

4. richietea

richietea Regular member

Had a similar problem with a laptop.However i was using a usb keyboard as it was setup in a way as a desktop and was never mobile due to having external drives connected,external burner and usb hub.Found most of the problems were dirt,dust,crumbs that are mentioned but also the rubber membranes were rotten.It happened with four keys in total after clean up so ended up purchasing 4 new keys,clips and rubber membranes from Ebay.Very cheap,admittedly a little fiddly at first but well worth the patience afterwards.Try all of the above first then maybe look down the individual route.

Ketola likes this.
  5. Ketola

How much were the individual keys per piece? Sounds a little fiddly indeed, but if you can save a few bucks by doing it yourself, why not. =) The complete keyboard seemed to be around $25 on Amazon, so that's not too bad either.

6. richietea

richietea Regular member

Think you may be right Ketola.Having gone through my e.bay for the purchase and doing the pounds sterling to dollar conversion works out at $21.42 for the keys etc.I did pay over the odds mind you as i was giving the laptop away as a Christmas prezzie and were desperate for the replacements before delivery deadlines.If you can buy the full replacement keyboard for the price you mentioned i would go down your route after cleanup.

http://www.laptopinventory.com/LaptopInventory.php/Asus/X Series/x54c/Keyboard

7. Ketola

When you're in a hurry every price is right, I guess. =) Some replacement keyboards, such as HP EliteBook ones, cost well over $50-60 here in Finland.

8. ddp

9. Ketola

Those are some cheap keyboards... I wonder if you could build a complete laptop out of spare parts at a reasonable price.

10. ddp

it is possible but don't know for certain. ebay is were i get my parts for laptops except for hard drives which i get at a Barrie computer store.