1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Graphics/Video

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by YOBUZZB, Mar 5, 2017.

1. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

I had an update popup icon and proceeded to update the graphics/video drivers. There was an option to install and another for a clean install. I clicked on the install. I knew to do a clean install and didn't. It was a mistake I'm seriously regretting as I now have no video on my screen! I know that it is a driver conflict. My problem is that I do not know how to fix it. I tried connecting another monitor via hdmi but with no success. Please help me! I got this machine as a gift for Christmas and I just started using it and now I can't!!! Here are my specs:

Also, is it possible to download the proper drivers to a thumb drive and load them? If so, what steps do I need to take to accomplish it. Thank you for any and all assistance!!!

Product number
    W2N17UA
    Product name
    HP Notebook - 17-y001cy
    Microprocessor
    AMD Quad-Core A12-9700P APU (2.5 GHz, up to 3.4 GHz, 2 MB cache)
    Memory, standard
    12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)
    Video graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R7 Graphics
    Hard drive
    2 TB 5400 rpm SATA
    Optical drive
    SuperMulti DVD burner
    Display
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900)
    Keyboard
    Full-size island-style with numeric keypad
    Pointing device
    HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
    Wireless connectivity
    802.11ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo
    Network interface
    Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN
    Expansion slots
    1 multi-format SD media card reader; 1 microSD media card reader
    External ports
    1 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo
    Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
    41.7 x 27.9 x 2.49 cm
    Weight
    2.69 kg
    Power supply type
    45 W AC power adapter
    Battery type
    4-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion
    Webcam
    HP TrueVision HD Webcam (front-facing) with integrated digital microphone
    Audio features
    DTS Studio Sound™ with 2 speakers
    Software
    Operating system
    Windows 10 Home 64

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

Okay so here's an update...

After doing a brief search using Google, I found a fix. There were several available, including a video. The one I chose, instructed to do a hard reset. This is accomplished by removing any sd cards or thumb drives or anything you have connected to your machine other than the power cord. Then power off, next remove the power cord, next remove the battery, next press the power button and hold it to the count of 10 (counting 1 one thousand and so on), then replace the battery, replace the power cord, then turn your machine on. Now because I messed up by not installing the graphics drivers properly, the screen displayed a message reading Windows did not load properly and gave me options to fix it. I chose to do a system restore to an earlier date. Now no matter which option you feel most comfortable with, you will need to know your password for your machine in order for that option to begin. I am now typing on the machine in question and while doing so, I received a popup to update the graphics and this time, did it the proper way and I gave it the go ahead to automatically download and install them in the future! I do not wish to repeat such a bone headed mistake!

3. aldan

aldan Active member

good you got it fixed.that is basically what i would have done as well.

4. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know if it's applicable to a video issue, but I do know that if you pull the power as soon as the Windows icon thingie appears on the boot screen (I did it three times in a row), it comes up with a diagnostic screen on the fourth boot-up - trouble is I don't know if it's loading minimal basic video drivers at this time allowing you to opt into safe mode from the advanced options screen - or the automatic disgnostics it goes through fixes the problem before the options screen come up.
    Gotta love Windows 10, eh?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't have it automatically download and install them in the future as sometimes ms updates are screwed up causing windows to not work or not work properly.