1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost hard drive memory

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by djmaskell, May 15, 2007.

1. djmaskell

djmaskell Member

Hi All, I wonder if anyone can give advise on this matter. I have been using sonic recordnow for about a year, no problems until I used a Tesco DVD-R. I use the exact copy option as I only have a dvd rewriter drive (NEC 3500AG), it read the original disc, asked for me to put blank DVD-R in drive, then it said it cannot write to blank media please try another disc, tried another disc (tesco DVD-R) same thing. I then thought I would cancel the option and try at a later date, so I did and exited sonic recordnow, and now I have lost 4gb on my hard drive. I have looked everywhere I can think of on my hard drive (temp folder, sonic folder, but just cant find where the 4gb has gone. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well some programs do what you call a "working file", if i understand correctly you have one drive, so it copy's the Video-ts and audio-ts (or whatever) right to your computer then copys it to a dvd-r, 4 gigs sounds just about what a movie usally depending on size, some softwares empty this file each time you exit, others empty each time you make a new project, it "does not" have the capabilities of eating up part of your drive, even if you have 2 drive 9(like me) it still may have a working folders, don't worry if your still convinced 4gigs just disappeared then try this,

1 Do a system restore point to before the actual occurrence

2 It might have emptied the "working folder" and filled it again but it didn't appear on the xp log, so to make sure you didn't lose anything just open up your default drive(the one you lost you 2 gigs), right click select all, or just high light all the folders and right click and chose the option "properties" It will give you details just look at the one size on disc and see if it's right, if not the "working folder" is probably empty.

3 Right click on that drive and choice Properties, and under tool tab choice disk error check, it might prompt you to restart just do it.

4 don't worry many time i just do step 2 and make sure i have the same amount of files, xp takes sometime to actually show the gained or lost files, at the end of the day i'm sure its just the software deleting the "working folder" or whatever it titles it, try going into your hard drive, open the folder called program files and look for the programs name or publishing company, open it and look for something called "temp" or "working folder" or something that sounds like it, see if it's empty, the program might have also put it under your hard drive in you temp folder check there, good luck, i wouldn't worry to much if i was you

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

yes i am right, sorry to say mate, sonic does not support DVD-R's , only
    DVD+R, +RW And other stuff just not DVD-R, so it will always fail it, your 4 gigs dissapeared as i said before your working folder is full with the movie, you gotta find that working folder and empty it

4. djmaskell

djmaskell Member

Thanks for your post, ive tried all above and still no joy. What else can you think of? I only have a 20gb hard drive so 4gb is alot to lose, i wouldn't mind if I had a bigger hard drive.....
    I dont really want to reinstall windows XP so any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks

5. tripplite

tripplite Guest

slow down man, don't reinstall windows, now you can try going into hardrive (c:), or whatever your default name is, then go to program files>sonic and then look around for the setup file, i know sonic keeps its setup file some where there, uninstall it and try installing it again with its +setup.

OR (I SUGGEST THIS)

i don't know how sonic works however if i understand you you only have one drive, so sonic copys the dvd to your computer, it then burns it to a disc and finaly emptys its "working folder", so simply put in a blank DVD+R and finish the job you where trying to do before and then once its done burning sonic will automaticly empty the "working folder", you probably never noticed this before but each time you "copy a dvd" you lose 4-4.7gigs and regain them,

SONIC DOES NOT SUPPORT DVD-R, THAT IS WHY THE ERROR MESSAGE APPEARED

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  6. djmaskell

djmaskell Member

Hiya thanks for your help on this. Ive tried uninstalling / reinstalling sonic and no joy again still losing 4gb. I had a copy of Nero 7 premium so I installed that and tried to copy the same DVD but "on the fly" option and it said that the Tesco DVD-R was an illegal disc. Now confused as Ive burnt many DVD's using tesco DVD-R before and using sonic recordnow. What do you think a dodgy batch of blank DVD-R's?

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

NERO 7 might support DVD-R, for future reference DVD+R do the same as DVD-R, however many dvd players will not play DVD-R, and many burning software won't burn to them, give me a day and i'll have a solution to your 4 gig issue, coastered batches of disc's don't occur to often, nero7 seems to have a lot of issue's so i don't every use it

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

did it work any further problems please mention

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I have Sonic and there is no problem with -R media, as long as your burner does it. Sonic does not give a crap what format media you use. Try doing a search on your computer for VTS file or ISO, it is there somewhere. If not then do a system restore if you have XP it may delete the file. As for the media you are using it was probably a bad one, try some better stuff such a Verbtim.

10. tripplite

tripplite Guest

sonic digital media lev 6.1.1, and each time i put in a dvd-r it wont burn with it, says "does not support media", so i dont know if the new version supports it or not.