1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Hard Drive Memory

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by RandiM, Feb 8, 2008.

1. RandiM

RandiM Member

hi, i have lost 40Gb of hard drive memory when I havent used it!!! I have tried to create more space by deleting things I had saved even before the memory went missing to speed up the pc slightly to allow the problem to be fixed. However I manage to free a little space and after a while i get a message saying i only have 100mb of space left and i havent done anything!!! I have the latest update of norton anti virus: after updating it and completing a scan it flagged up stareware. I have removed this using the software remove in the control panel i have also removed the file in c/ program files. my memory has stopped dissapearing but i still cant find whats using up the 40Gb. i have completed another antivirus scan and it says the pcs virus free.i have cleared the temp files and any unused programs. i have also had problems with sonic record now, i suspect this is because i dont have much memory but this was crashing before my memory dissappeared. i have read that when this crashes because it hasnt completed its task it may still be storing the tempery image in a working folder somewhere, i cant seem to find anything in the record now file in the program files for this. im not sure this is related to the memory issue but i thought id best give as much info as i could. i have also installed hijsck this and ran it, im not really sure what im looking at with it so i havent done anything else with this. As you can probably tell from this im no PC expert and im still practically a learner and im competley stuck with this!!!
    Please help!
    Thanx

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

dont worry this ane't no virus just a common windows glich

alot of time people get this and by the time i post the problem is gone, my computer tends to lie to people sometimes, try turning off your computer and unplugging it from its power source let it sit for 30 minutes, this allows for power to discharge from the mother board,
    some people have reported this to fix this

do a disk clean up, although this just empties your cache it also runs a calculator program that check to see how much space is free and subtracts it from the original amount, this could correct the issue (low chance)

ok go into hard drive C:(right click open) OR whatever hard drive this is happening on highlight all the folders and files in there and right click on one folder and select properties, this does an accurate read of the amount of space being used on your hard drive, see if the my computer details windows and this count line up
    [​IMG]

right click on drive C: and select properties and go under the tab TOOLS and select "ERROR-CHECKING", it might (probably tell you to restart say yes and go with it)
    [​IMG]

questions comments post back;)
    -tripplite

3. RandiM

RandiM Member

thanx, sorry for entering my question twice, im very new to this!!! im trying your suggestion now and i'll get back to you. thanx

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

there is alot we can try just post back and stay patient!
    -tripplite

5. RandiM

RandiM Member

thank you so much for your help!!! my problem is now fixed. after reading your sugestion i realised that although id been shutting the pc down i dont think id ever unplugged it. i did this and got about 20gb back. i also did an error check as you suggested which said there where no errors. when i went into the c; drive to highlight the files i noticed that it was the applications file that was about 130gb so opened it and had a look and found the sonic record now file and in it there where 90 temp files ranging in size but some as big as 3gb!!!! iv cleared all these temp files and now have 126gb free space and the record now application still works. thank you so much for your help, i dont think i would have noticed this file without it and iv also learned to remember to unplug the pc because even though its shut down doesnt mean its off. this will probably seem silly to you but its the first time iv attempted anything like this before. thanx again.

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

dvd creation softwares may some times get a glich were they dont dump the temp files ! which can up to 4.7 gb of files! always make sure the temp file your emptying is a TEMP file and doesn't hold other important files!

not at all my friend knows 3 computer languages and is Microsoft certified, he didn't even know a simple trick like this would fix his drivers issue!

7. RandiM

RandiM Member

thanx again, iv found this site very useful and itll be the first place i come to when i have any other pc problems and i know i will!!! iv already recommended it to 3 of my friends! do i need to close this thread or do anything to it now that my problem is solved or do i just leave it?

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

no please dont close the thread(we dont even have that option) or delete your comments, its great if some else has the same problem, they do a google search and see how to troubleshoot it, then they see the results of labor

glade you like afterdawn
    -tripplite