1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost In Translation

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by e3e4520, Apr 22, 2005.

1. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    I am trying to back up the movie Lost In Translation. I usually back up my movies with DVD Shrink then burn it with Nero. However, for this movie everything burns out ok, but the disk is rather unreadable. All I get are digital blocks. I have tried updating DVD-R's firmware, updating ASCI, uninstalling/reinstalling but I still can't get it to work. If I play the movie straight from my hardrive (the video folder) it works flawlessly. But if I burn it onto a DVD it's all messed up.

Does anyone know what may cause the problem?

I am using DVD Shrink, Nero, reader/burner is a Plextor 716-A on an external enclosure on a Centrino 1.5 with 512m of ram.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Mark

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What brand of discs are you using? What speed are you burning at?

3. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Edited. Missed the "played flawlessly on hd" part. It has to be your media as suggested.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

He said the movie works fine from the hard drive, it's the final burn that has the issues. Shrink and nero made short work of this a almost a year ago.

5. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I am using Verbatin DVD+R 8x and burn the movie at 6x. I've also tried one disk with Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R and still the same result...perhaps it's not because of the media?

I am wondering maybe it has a newer CSS protection scheme that I am not aware of because my DVD Shrink is not the latest version. I will try to use the latest version together with DVD43, see if it fixes my problem.

But...if the movie plays fine on the HD, does it mean that the protection is removed?

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Try burning at 4x or even 2.4x.

7. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Tried that, burning at 4x. Tried updating software (Dvd Shrink, DVD43, Dvd Decrypter) and still, the movies burn out all scrambled.

I don't understand what is going on, if I open the movie from my HD it plays just fine.

Very mystified...

8. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

After 2 days of hassles I finally found out why: my external enclosure is messed up.

Dismounting the drive and mount it as an internal unit, movies burn out ok. Somewhere along the way in the past few days I must have done something to my external enclosure.

Really puzzled....but at least problem solved..for now.

Have to get a new enclosure, what a pain..

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Glad to see you figured it out. Good luck on that replacement.