1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost recovery CD

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by cheeher, Feb 8, 2007.

1. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

hi,

i lost my recovery CD for my HP and i want to restore everything. the reason is that my computer is very slow and lots of viruses. is there a way to get another CD?

2. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

2 things you can try. you can contact hps tech support or go to hps site look for the model that an go to downloads/drivers an see if they have.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I was'nt aware HP provided any cd's as they usually partition the hdd and install the recovery part on the smaller partition usually D drive,what HP do is let you make 1 set of recovery disks,as it happens you don't need them,check you have a fat32 partition of or at around 5GB,if so that's the recovery partition,restart comp and hold F10 (may be diff for you) there's two options the first basicly leaves all folders and data but will over write your OS and then you'll have to reinstall all 3rd party software,the recovery you want is the "destructive" which wipes all

If you have no recovery partition you can get xp from microsoft by downloading the file to either floppy "you'll need 5 floppy's i think" or cd and burning it and then inserting and rebooting

Once all done don't connect to the net without windows firewall enabled then go straight to microsoft update and don't leave till fully updated then go get avg antivirus and zone alarm both free,for spyware i use spyware terminator it's free and is a real time scanner,lastly if it's within your means invest in another HDD and get yourself a copy of ghost 2003 (comes on norton system works std & prof 2004 and would be a good buy,just don't install the antivirus that comes with it),and get norton partition magic v8.0 (those norton apps are safe to use otherwise i would'nt advise you to get them) ,this site link will provide any help you need with those apps http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi ,basicly i'm telling you to make an exact copy of your primary hdd that way you have a fully operational backup of your system and it only takes 1hr to transfer 121GB of data to the virus ridden hdd by overwritting

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. cheeher

cheeher Regular member

whoa that's confusing but thnx anyways. i contacted HP and order another set of copy. thnx anyways yall