1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR: The Third Age

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Gog0, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Gog0

Gog0 Member

Hey, I'm trying to backup my compy of LOTR: The Third Age, and I'm not having much luck... I have a LITEON SOHW 832S, and I am using verbatim at 1x write and 11x read, is this game dual layer or soemthing? I burned about 4 other games so farr, all in amazing sucess, and i have the same problem with GTA:SA, anyone know what I should do?

2. hm1

hm1 Regular member

Try Ritek GO4 media

GTA san adreas is a real sticky game.

Real hit and miss

3. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

I burned with decrypter at 2x on a memorex dvd-r. Works fine.

4. teggy

teggy Regular member

Does the backup of this game need to be patched? if so is there a general EA patch or can you load it with DVD loader?

5. Gog0

Gog0 Member

so maybe i should burn it at a faster pace, and i have no idea what dvd loader is.

6. teggy

teggy Regular member

DVD Loader is a fix you burn to dvd to boot games that swap magic cannot boot alone. There is also a cd loader tha goes on cd, obviously dvd for dvd games and so on.

if you go to www.swapmagicfix.com it will list the games that dont work with swap magic alone and what u need to fix them, in most cases its dvd/cd loader.

7. babymmm

babymmm Member

i made a backup of the third age and when i get to the main menu and hit new game it just sits on the loading screen and the disk speeds up and slows down???

8. Halberd

Halberd Member

Same thing happened to me! I think it may be the disc media, as I use cheap 1.00 discs.

9. eliteg19

eliteg19 Member

my LOTR 3 age game runs but its mega laggy...i have other games back up and run nicely but having games like LOTR and MK Deception act up makes u a lil' frustrated and disappointed in backin up games...and wasting ur money on blank media.

10. babymmm

babymmm Member

well i fixed mine after burnin off 3 copys and turns out all it was was my laser need cleaned durrrrrrrrrr

11. Halberd

Halberd Member

How did you clean your laser? Open your case or wehat...?

12. babymmm

babymmm Member

i made my own flip top so i just lifted up my lid

13. teggy

teggy Regular member

It runs crap on rare occasions for me, I use OPTODISC2004 Discs(GAME UK Distribute them).

But on first play the audio was choppy and when I encountered the very first battle against the black cloaked people(cant remember name) all audio stopped and the characters just moved and swayed I cdnt input any commands.

Any other time it works fine, DVD/CD loader are not needed nor does it need to be patched.

How I tell if it is going to work is if the EA games and New Line Cinema screens audio skips or doesn't sound good it will not run properly. In that case just reboot the PS2 and go about loading your backup with Swap Magic or w/e.

IMO though, it's an awful game. No incentive to play on. Linearity at its best. Run along a set path, fight orcs, get quests, cutscene, learn new moves. And to top that off, when you get a cutscene it marks a main quest but you don't know which path to take, sure it marks a red dot but you can't see which path it's on. You can never miss other quests as they are all on the same path and there are usually chests near it so you know that you are gonna fight to go about clearing that quest. It sucks major nuts, luckily though I only rented it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  14. Halberd

Halberd Member

I agree 100%, not a great game; and I was actually looking forward to this one!

If it's working only occasionally, perhaps it is the disc quality or burn speed?

15. eliteg19

eliteg19 Member

well turns out that lower speed media just reads and burns better like 1x to 2.4x...but still i have swap magic flip top and i will never clean the lense that s just something that doesnt need to be touched. if ur lense is messed up, prolly scratched and not dirty. anyway burn ur LOTR 3 age slow(1x) and patiently and it will work great with swap magic 3.2...