1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud noises when booting games w/ swap disks

Discussion in 'PS2' started by zen23, Aug 26, 2004.

1. zen23

zen23 Member

I successfully burned and played a game today, however when loading it makes these loud wheezing and grinding noises. Is that normal? I already checked to tighened all the screws after installing the fliptop. I just want to make it sure these noises wont result in damaging my system.

2. StrongBad

StrongBad Member

I have had the same noises when trying to boot an action replay its the laser on your PS2 if its old it will have a hard time reading blue disks.

3. zen23

zen23 Member

I highly doubt it, since it’s a new system I just bought last week. I’m using ritek discs to burn but I don’t think it’s a media problem. I read somewhere in the forums to loosen the two screws on the white plastic thingamajig however done that w/ no luck. Are there additional mods needed that I don’t know about?

4. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

is it only happening with burned games or with originals too?, also if you put your hand on the flip top's lid do you still get the noise?

5. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

I'm getting the same thing, I can hear the laser moving most of the time, but sometimes I hear like a grinding noise too! only for backed up games.. help me too (yea i have a flip-top)

6. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

usually if your ps2 is making grinding or whining noises only on certain dics, it's because the laser is having a hard time reading the disc, it can even sound like the thing is about to bite the dust, but it's just dirt in the disc, scratches or a duff dvd, try a different brand of dvd, and it's possible that the laser angle may need adjusting, or the black screw on the laser arm may need adjusting

7. zen23

zen23 Member

I tried tapping on the fliptop and oddly enough the noises stopped. However I dont want to keep tapping on the dang system each time. Is there an easier way?

8. zen23

zen23 Member

noises happen with both new and burned games

9. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

the opening part of the flip top is just vibrating, you can either weight it down with something like a lump of blue tac, or try sticking some sticky back pads on the lip it lands on, so that it shuts, but doesn't make full contact with the plastic, that way it will act as a damper and stop the noise, you may have to experiment a little

10. zen23

zen23 Member

hmm, so bascially use a paperweight on the lid or stickies on the white plastic disks? Or is that stickies on the mouth of the lid? Confused..

11. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

use the stickie pads on the rim that the lid (the opening part) lands on when it is shut.

12. zen23

zen23 Member

ok, thanks Ill give it a try

13. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

this same thing happened to me.

Here's how i fixed the problem:

I found out that the white disk i was putting on was actually upside down! (I was putting it so the side where u can c the magnet was down and it kept making a nouse whenever i put the white disk on (my fliptop didnt have a clip to hold the white disk). Then i turned it the other way ( with the side where u can c the magnet facing up) and the problem was fixed - the sounds went away!!!