1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low quality media, vs. verbatim....question about it

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by duboy1, Nov 9, 2007.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok, say you have memorex discs and verbatim discs that you used to backup. You cant see either brand name and you put a game in from one brand adn then the other. Since it is said that memorex will ruin your laser, can you tell if the disc is reading harder? or something like that? Or what is the true reason why verbatim dye is so much better if it doesnt read harder? thanks

2. fazes23

fazes23 Guest

cant even compare the two. verbatim is on a league of their own and you can clearly see it when you burn and load a game. out of a 50 pack of memorex i usually get about 7 coasters and even if the game burns with no problems i still get disk dirty errors with memorex. verbatim will always load and never give me a dirty disc error yet "'knocking on wood""

3. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

but see that is the thing. I had under 5 coasters with memorex and i have burnt over a hundred now. Also the coasters were my fault cause my computer messed things up. So, i just wanted to know if there was a difference you could tell when loading... like does it make sounds as if it were reading harder or something for cheaper media? or anything like that?

4. fazes23

fazes23 Guest

memorex work pretty good for me i have a samsung drive but i noticed the difference in memorex and verbatim is very big. memorex mess up ur laser in the long and some of the games tend not to load in the long run aswell. all my verbs are still in tact and some are scratched up and still play. dont even bother with memorex it isnt worth it.

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Verbatim makes their own media. So when you buy a package of Verbatim discs, you know you're getting Verbatim discs every time.

Memorex does not make their own media. They buy their media from multiple manufacturers. The majority of those manufacturers make crap and should be spanked.

You have no way of telling which mfg. made the spindle of Memorex discs sitting there on the shelf in Wal Mart until you get them home. Then you can get the media code off the disc.

So, you may get lucky with one pack of Memorex... or 2 or 3... but it'll always be a crap shoot. And with there being more bad Memorex media available than good, that's why so many people have problems with playback and say avoid it.

As for your question, no, you can't tell how hard your laser is working until it's too late. The only you'll find out is when loading may start to take a second longer, or maybe you'll get a studder during gameplay. You'll start seeing tiny errors. But by then it's too late as your laser is already wearing down. The errors will start getting more and more frequent and severe. Sure, you can adjust the POT... but that's just putting a bandaid on the situation.

So by saving $.30~.40 a disc you'll not only have to pay for a new laser (plus installation), but you'll also have to buy more media to reburn the bad discs.

6. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Just a question, are there any decent manufacturers that make memorex? All that i have been getting were ritek codes.

7. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

If you have to look at codes and research different manufacturers and all this other stuff to get dependable media, why is it worth sticking with Memorex. It can't be just the price, you must get them half off or free or something? Just stock up on verbatims when they are on sale.

8. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

haha, i just wanted to check and see what was up with it so i knew the facts. I see your point and i plan to switch over. Where are sales usually with verbs?

9. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

when i put my memorax disc on my xbox360. it makes this huge irrating sound inside the dvd drive as if the disc is scratching the len. as soon as i heard the sound, i took it out immediately.