1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low sound from surround setup

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by BurnMe1, Dec 5, 2007.

1. BurnMe1

BurnMe1 Member

Okay guy's here's my trouble hopefully some one can help i have a rca rt2380bk a/v reciever and a scientific alanta explorer 8300hd cable box and a hitachi 65f710 set at 1080i hd. my problem is when i play my xbox 360 thru the reciever it sounds great! when i listen to the radio it sound great! but for some reason when i watch telivision the sound is very low. i can turn thr reciever all the way up and the internal speakers of the tv sound louder and better than with the reciver on.xbox video is directly to the tv's inputs and audio to the reciever the cable box has componet cables that run to the tv with a set of red/white audio that i have run to the tv and it also has a second set of red/white audio that i have run to the reciever.any suggestions? could my connections be wrong?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

In a surround setup, the tv is used only for video.

Your thread is titled "low sound from surround setup", but you don't have any of the stuff you mentioned, connected for surround. The best you'll get with the red and white audio cables, is Pro Logic (simulated surround). You have to use digital connections (digital coax or optical), to get 5.1 surround. With cable tv, the only channels that broadcast in surround, are the "Premium" movie channels (HBO, Starz, etc.), some PPV channels and HD channels. You'll need to run a digital coax or optical cable from the cable box, to the receiver (for audio). You may need to assign the input you use, to the tv/DBS. Your manual will tell you how. You'll also need to go into the setup menus, for your cable box, and make sure it's set to output digital audio

I'm not familiar with Xbox. If it has digital output for audio, I'd use it too, instead of red and white cables.

3. BurnMe1

BurnMe1 Member

Thank's jvc sorry but i have the cable box connected to the reciever and my xbox as well all thru those red/white cables so your telling me to run optic audio from my cable box to my reciever? there is also optic cable from my xbox but the reciever only has one optic input in back.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

If you want HD channels and/or "Premium" movie channels, in 5.1 surround, you MUST use the optical output from cable box. All other channels will just be Pro Logic, which works fine, for regular channels.
    Same with Xbox..........if you have games that are in 5.1 surround, and you want to hear them that way, you must use the optical output, instead of the red and white cables. If you don't have games that are surround, don't worry about using the optical, from the Xbox.

There are digital optical selector switches, like this one, that allows you to hookup more than one optical source, to just one input:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-980

5. BurnMe1

BurnMe1 Member

can you split the coaxial audio with one of those black y's also my tv has hdmi and my cable box also has it but the reciever does not

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  6. JVC

JVC Active member

Don't know about the "Y" adapters. Never used one that way (5.1 surround). I've only used them with stereo.

In your case, the HDMI is good for video only, since receiver doesn't have it.