1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low virtual memory when using Dvdshrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Mmack, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Mmack

Mmack Member

I have just installed a new dvd burner which burns at 8 speed. When I use dvd shrink I get a message about half way through encoding a dvd That dvdshrink can not continue as I have ran out of virtual Memory I have tried unsuccesfully to overcome this problem and only whe I use my old slower dvdrom can I overcome this, any help would be most appreciated

ta Mmack

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

How much ram do you have? How much virtual memory do you have? How much hard drive space do you have? What movie are you trying to backup? Please answer all 4 questions so we have a better idea of what's going on.

3. Mmack

Mmack Member

I have 512mb ram, at least 20gb hard drive space, virtual memory is set at default, I have tried increasing virtual memory settings but to no sucess. As for the dvd's that I am trying to back up, it happens with them all

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Try tunring off all progarams running in the background. What exactly happens when you try to change the amount of virtual memory?

Is your hard drive Fat 32 or NTFS?

5. Mmack

Mmack Member

My system is running on fat32, virtual memory is set on 720mb, the only other program running when I use dvdshrink is windows explorer as I normally turn off all other programs when I backup dvd's

6. Mmack

Mmack Member

I have already tried increasing virtual memory up to 4gb but I am not very educated as far as computers go and so I dont know if this is allowed. When I customise virtual memory the problem still exists

7. Mmack

Mmack Member

You speak about programs running in the background is there anyway I can find out what they may be and how to turn them off

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

No need to increase the virtual memory that much. Try 1500mb and see if that works for now.

9. Mmack

Mmack Member

I will give it a try, keep an eye open and I will let you know if it works

ta much Mmack

10. Mmack

Mmack Member

Have just increased virtual memory to 1440mb min & 2880 max.I tried encoding a dvd and after 50% encoding I received an error message saying dvdshrink unable to continue not enough availiable storage (aaargh!) I had also deleted & reinstalled dvshrink DOES ANYONE OUT THER HAVE ANY MORE IDEAS PLEEEEEEEASE

Mmack

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I don't remember who originally figured this problem out (but God bless him). It happens when you set frames. If you set the frame on a blank/black spot, it will cause problems with DVD Shrink. But if you set the frame at the beginning of say, the opening frame where there is a picture, it will not try to put the whole damn movie into the memory buffer. Hope this helps.
    Edit: It was Squizzle. Here's the original thread. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/160536

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005