1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lowering write speed

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jiveturky, Feb 9, 2005.

1. jiveturky

jiveturky Member

as we all know, it is best to burn games at 1x.

I know the usual reason for not being able to do burn at such a low speed is usually due to cheap media, but I am using verbatim 8x -r, and the lowest it seems I am able to go is 2.4x.

I read a post where someone couldn't burn at 1x until they installed recordnow, and that made 1x available to them in all their burning programs.

that program won't install properly for me (I don't know why such a thing would occur, anyway) but I was wondering if it is possible that my burner (nec 2510a) is not capable of burning any lower than 2.4x....

although I have seen it dip below this for a certain period during burning at times.

does anyone know if my burner cannot burn that slow, or how I can get it to? dvd decrypter offers 1x, but it works its way up to 2.5 even at this setting, and my latest backup freezes at a cut scene somewhat near the beginning of the game (it loads fine, so I think it will be, but when I get to the second section it freezes up).

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

use 4x media instead of 8x.

3. jiveturky

jiveturky Member

and yet, the 4x I have does not write below 4x.

also, on meritline there is maybe one if any 4x instead of 8x taiyo yuden. they claim that they write from 1x to 8x, but so do the verbatims on that site, which I assume are the same that I have.

thus, the confusion

I'm just afraid that if I am able to find some 4xs, the same problem will occur...

is this unheard of?

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If the slowest you can go is 2.4x that means you are probably burning on DVD+R media. This is the lowest speed that DVD+R media can be burned at. Try switching to DVD-R media if you want to burn at 1x.

5. jiveturky

jiveturky Member

this is not true;
    the package that the 8x dvd+rs came in says 1-8x.

does it really matter what x your media is, so long as it can write at 1x?

it has been suggested to use 4x media, but i have some that does not write below 4x, and I have read that ps2s do not like 8x media, but I wonder if this is only because it is not always capable of writing at 1x.

anyway, how can I get it to write at 1x?
    could it be my burner?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  6. jiveturky

jiveturky Member

7. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

All the dvd+r 4x max media I've used burns at 1x with decrypter.

8. jiveturky

jiveturky Member

I got some -rs, but nobody sells 4x media in my area, and it must be something on my computer causing it to write above 1x, since the media definitely supports it.