1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m2p Files ???????

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by topgazza, Jan 4, 2005.

1. topgazza

topgazza Member

Sorry for the dumb question but I have just joined and converted several AVI files in Canopus. Selected as SVCD PAL I end up with m2p file. Nothing plays it and nothing recognises it to burn.

Do I need to convert it again to something else?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

MPEG-2 is a Program Stream Format File . But on our guide I saw that to author a DVD you need to add with IFOedit the sound (as a .MP2 file) to the TMPGenc's video file (M2V). Read http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm .
    Sorry, but I don't use Canopus and I don't know how to complete that step from a Canopus' M2V output.
    Remember that a DVD cannot be made directly from the movie as you would do for making a (S)VCD.

3. topgazza

topgazza Member

Thanks for replying. I read somewhere here that Canopus Procoder files which are m2p are MPEG2 with the audio streamed in with the video. Seems to be a variey of opinion with some saying Nero will burn them direct to SVCD others saying not. Another comment is that changing the ext to mpg also works, it doesn't! It seems odd that a professional piece of software converts an AVI file into a format that nothing reads or burns. Whats the point? Canopus have not replied to my direct query so any advice would be useful

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The answer is: convert the M2V (maybe TMPGenc can) into MPG, make a SVCD image (Nero, VCDGear), burn it.
    DON'T DO THE CONVERSION STUFF WITH NERO.

5. setokieva

setokieva Member

Just delete the m2p from the file name and it should play fine. The file that I converted with canopus was filename.avi.m2p, so I deleted .m2p leaving the file as filename.avi and it works.

6. topgazza

topgazza Member

....and it does as well. Excellant and thanks