1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m3 ds simply firmware

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by m1ck3y, Apr 1, 2007.

1. m1ck3y

m1ck3y Member

is there anyway at all to hack the firmware or .dat to change things within the menu, ie things like fonts, font sizes, button/object placements, things of that nature? i'm a hardcore skinner and i would really like to make it look less ugly.

another question to save making another thread: is there a way i can rip my game saves from ds game cards so that i might use them with the m3 simply?

any responses are greatly appreciated :)

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

3. m1ck3y

m1ck3y Member

aha, sadly, i don't want to spend 100$ just to rip a save file from my existing game cards for my m3 simply... thank you for the link and response anyhow

4. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

some version of action replay can rip saves too. get that, it's probably less than 100$. and the m3 lite is only 75$!!! [not 100$]. still, much for just getting saves as you say...

5. m1ck3y

m1ck3y Member

paging mr_hanky to the thread :)

do ever _you_ not know this, mr_hanky?

6. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

You cannot hack the .dat, you can skin the M3 using four .bmp files found in _system_ (and under theme01, 02 etc in newer firmwares) I also believe the newer firwares allow you to specify the colour of the font too. This is currently the most you can do in skinning on the M3.

As for backing up of saves, there is a USB device on Divineo that is meant to be able to back up saves directly from the game, however I have not used it so don't know how good it is.

7. KingMendi

KingMendi Member

so hanky, you can apply your own bitmaps to skin the firmware, you just have to change the filename to theme01, 02 etc?

8. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

No there are folders labled theme01 (goes to 12, 1 per month) where you put the bitmap files. I have a zip file somewhere with templates to help make the bitmaps, i'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here you go,
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24821353/m3_simplytemplate.zip.html

Note i did not create the templates, however I cannot remember where I originally obtained them, though credit goes to whoever did.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  9. KingMendi

KingMendi Member

great, thanks for the link hanky.

10. linnets

linnets Member

You could also look at the skinner provided on the official M3 site
    Here.

Theres an instruction guide as part of the archive. Doesn't look too complicated, but at first glance there were a couple of options that weren't explained brilliantly.

Hope its some use.

Ronnie

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  11. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

That is a good skinning application, but from what I remember, it's only for the G6 and M3 Slot-2 range, not the M3 DS Simply.

12. linnets

linnets Member

You might well be right. I haven't tried it as I've only just ordered the simply (not received it yet).

The M3 site is a bit weird as the download button at the top takes you to different pages depending on what page you are linking from! (or thats what it looks like to me)