1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 for a beginer

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mark5hs, Jun 25, 2006.

1. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

I would like to by an M3 and pass key for my version 1 DS. I dont know much about modding DS so is there a begginers guide I can look at? Is there anything else I need to play GBA and DS roms from a memory card? How long will the battery last when Im playing music? Will I need to use alternate firmware? If so, will I be able to switch back to normal firmware in order to play my games on WiFi? If there anything else I need to know? There are probably lots of threads like this so you could just link me to one.

2. pakixd

pakixd Regular member

hi there mark

From my understanding.. if you get a passkey you will not need to flash the firmware. You still can.. but then you won't really need the passkey anymore. I'm not too familiar with what you really need to mod a version 1 ds.. but I know later DS's need the PassCard3 instead of the passkey. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Hope some of that helped!

3. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

ok, so my DS will still work with download play and someone else said that ROMs will actually work online, correct? After doing some reaserch from what I understand, I just install M3 manager and just click write DS or write GBA and it automaticly transfer the rom I select to the memory card, correct? Is there anything special I need to do to transfer music or do I just drag and drop the MP3 files to my memory card? I plan on getting a compact flash version as I have some CF cards laying around my house and I ussualy see them for cheaper. Is there anything in particular I need to know about that version?

4. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

make sure your particular brand of CF cards are FAST enough. CASTLEVANIA TEST!

5. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yes, just like the original game would.

Yes, just select the SD/CF card, or a folder in the card and click WriteNDS/WriteGBA.

Yes and No, you can convert the music for use with the M3 software, or just drag and drop the MP3's and use the M3's moonshell software to play them.

It's the largest of the versions, and has the highest compatibilty with homebrew of all the M3 adapters due to the easiness of writing to a CF card compared to a SD card.

@rdxtreme
    Don't just say castlevania test and expect everyone to know about it, give a link such as http://m3wiki.emuparadise.org/index.php/Media_Card and explain that you would recommend getting a card which has scored a 5 on the castlevania test as it will allow for video and larger games to work properly.

6. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

hehe yeh i've just been reading the DS forums all morning and pretty much know all there is.. or at least i feel like a guru

7. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Guess I got lucky with my blind purchase then.

I bought a 1GB RiData 150x miniSD for my EZIV Lite.

8. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

yeh, congratulations n00b. kidding.

i might go for the ridata miniSD instead of the a-data SD... but then i wouldn't have anything else that can read miniSD

i'm going to start a new thread about my hate for the new mini and micro cards

9. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

I read the castlevania test arcticle and basicly should I just avoid PNY and Viking cards? What exactley is moonshell?

10. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

If Viking and PNY cards have bad scores, yes.

Moonshell is a program for the DS that allows the playing of music (eg MP3) and video (DPG) files, viewing of images, and loading of additional homebrew applictaions.

11. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

ok, I think thats everything I need to know, thanks. Wheres teh best place to buy an M3 and Passkey and which passkey do I need for a version 1 DS?

12. gutsy

gutsy Member

I got mine from Divineo. Though they charged me $16 for shipping, I got the item in 3 days. The item shipped from Canada I think.

13. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Version 1 DS? DO you mean Firmware 1, or the phat DS.

If it's firmware 1 a Passkey1, If it's a phat DS it could be anything unless you know what firmware you have.

14. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

Im pretty sure its firmware 1 as I got my DS when it came out back in November 04. So I should get a Passkey 1?

15. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

16. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Sounds like you havn't actually checked your firmware.

Either way, a Passkey 1 will work on the older firmwares, where as a Passkey 2 will work on all firmwares, but costs more.

Yes, that link has the same setup I used to have so it will work.

17. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

ok thanks. One last question: is there any software for it that will let me play super nintendo ROMs?

18. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

19. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

ok thanks for the help. Is there anything like that for genisis?

20. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

There are genesis emulators, but they are a work-in-progress and are not really playable (only running at a few FPS.