1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 for a beginer

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mark5hs, Jun 25, 2006.

1. pakixd

pakixd Regular member

its a good site because you can download each one by one.. but man is it slow or what! i was getting downloads below 5kb/s, and I'm on DSL..

2. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

my passkey is starting to give me problems, when I wiggle the card a little, the system shuts off, and sometimes when I put my ds in my pocket of backpack with it on, the passkey will pop out and the ds will freeze. Im thinking about flashing the firmware. Are there any real disadvantages in doing so, and will it be possible to revert to the original DS firmware if for some reason I want to?

really? Im using DSl and most of the time I download from there at around 60kb/s. maybe it was just a bad mirror for the one you tried

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2006
  3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

only disadvantages to FlashMe are:
    - voids warrenty (if you have any)
    - if your unable to follow simple instructions, risk of bricking DS

For the original DS, yes (use noflashme.nds)
    For the DS Lite, no (there is no noflashme.nds which has DS Lite firmware)

You can however use FlashMe_Stealth which works just like FlashMe, but leaves the Health and Saftey screen intact, therefore looking like the original firmware - stores such as walmart would not know the difference (though i doubt they would notice the difference anyway)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  4. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

ok, Ill flash it. what was that thing about flashme and download play?

5. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

FlashMe allows the DS to recieve agmes that have not been RSA signed by Nintendo.

newbies think that it stops the DS being able to send games (multiplayer) but this is not the case, any game that has been patched will not allow wireless download play to a non-flashed DS as it has had the RSA signiture removed.

6. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

I went to open the battery cover but I notice it has a really really small screw. I dont think I have a screwdriver small enough to open it. do you know of any other ways to unscrew it?

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

A penknife might be able to do it, know i forgot my precision screwdriver set once when I went to do a friends DS and my penknife (after some effort) did it.

8. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

ok, I got it open. the guide on M3 wiki talks about an SL1 hole to the left of the battery. There are 2 holes and the picture it has is for DS lite, I have an old DS. Which hole is it that I need to stick a nail in?

9. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The original DS should have a small red and white sticker, the SL1 connection is under the sticker.

10. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

before I start I have a couple questions: if at the part when I bridge the sl1 and let it install, what if for some reason the percentage doesn't go up? and it says to make sure the battery is fully charged: is that just a precautionary step to make sure it doesn't run out or is there another real reason it needs to be fully charged? and is it essential for me to insulate the nail before bridging with it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2006
  11. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Fully charging the battery is just a precautionary step to ensure the DS won't turn off mid-flash.

Insulating the nail is only really needed when flashing a DS Lite as there is a screw near the SL1 which if shorted causes the DS to turn off (not good if in the middle of flashing)

If the percentage dosn't go up, try moving the nail round till it does, if it still dosn't work, leave you DS plugged in at the wall (as it already is) and go find something else to short the connection, i find tin foil works well in the original DS, I wouldn't reccomend turning the DS off at any stage till it says you can.

12. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

thanks for the help, it worked. do I need to put the little sticker back over the sl1 hole?

13. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I never have, it is basically a way of scaring you into not removing it (like a warrenty sticker) but it's up to you.

14. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

when I sleep my DS, the power light flashes and it makes this popping noise like the one it makes when you turn it off. I remember reading about this problem when I was looking for a guide. Is there a fix?

15. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

sry, double post

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  16. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

You need to have an original game in the DS slot for sleep mode to work, you could do some hacking of your old passcard to replicate the connection needed, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

Considering that you are using legal backups though, it shouldn't be a problem having to keep a game in the DS instead of a passcard though, right...

EDIT: saying that just using the passcard on it's own will work, but I assuming your passcard is still faulty

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  17. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

thanks for the help, putting a card in the slot seems to have fixed it

18. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

yeah, um, I jsut tried it and Im having some problems getting runnig. I ran make_nds.bat, I click open and selected a bunch of snes roms, I clicked save, and I transfered Snesds.ds to my memory card and tried running it (I tried pushing start and I tried it in GBA mode) and it didn't work, I also tried snezzi ds and that wont work either

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006