1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***M3 USERS: Guide to using homebrew and ROMs on the Nintendo DS and Lite***

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mr_hanky, Jul 10, 2006.

1. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

2. Amalein

Amalein Member

Sorry if this isn't the correct place but does Moonshell work with the M3 Lite with the MicroSD card? I couldn't find the DLDI for it here

3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Moonshell works with the M3 Lite, it comes as a setup.exe file that should ahave a version that works without DLDI.

The DLDI for the M3 Lite is "M3 Adapter (SD Card)" as MicroSD works the same way as SD.

4. caprica13

caprica13 Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  5. Moomoo2

Moomoo2 Regular member

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for an excellent guide =)

--Moomoo2

6. tapper99

tapper99 Member

This guide is fantastic, thank you!

One quick comment, and one quick question -

The current version of GameManager does not have a patch option called "Hardware + Software". The options available are "Soft Patch", "Hardware Support 1", and "Hardware Support 2". I've been using the default (Hardware Support 1) without much issue, but some sort of note should probably be added to the guide.

One question - I've been having trouble with roms holding a save. I searched and found people saying you can only have one GBA rom on your card at a time if you want to save games, but that seemed to only be if you were dragging and dropping. I've been using the GameManager to transfer them. For example, I have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on my SD, with a game saved. I can access that save with no problems. I also have Aria of Sorrow on there. Whenever I save my game, then turn off the DS and go back to it, the save is gone. Again, I used the GameManager to patch it over.

Any insight is appreciated.

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yes i've known that part of the guide has been out of date for a while, but as these M3's are getting older I havn't been constantly updating the guide as I have been my M3 DS Simply guide.

If your having trouble saving some games, what you can try is copy the game dircetly onto your card, and then copy over a blank save also.
    You can get the blank save from where you installed the gamemanager. Default location is C:\Program Files\M3 GAME Manager\gamesave
    make sure you copy the save to the GBA save folder (i think it's "GAMESAVE", havn't used my M3CF for a while) and rename it to be identical to the ROM with the exception of the file extension (.dat).

That way you can still save with multiple games, but you bypass the gamemanager.

8. tapper99

tapper99 Member

Thanks mr_hanky. It looks like this worked. Upon further inspection, there was no save file for Aria of Sorrow in the GAMESAVE folder, so it looks like I may have brought this game over without using the GameManager. That would explain the lack of .dat file and failure to save.

Even if you don't feel like investigating which patch method to use, the default value (Hardware Platform 1) seems to work fine. At least then when people are using your guide, they will see that option available in the GameManager software, rather than what you have up now.

Thanks for all your help!

9. jonw

jonw Guest

Hi Guys, this is my first post so please go easy on me.
    I have read this whole thread twice now and am either very dumb or am just not grasping it.

Can someone in laymans terms please tell me what I need to purchase and d/load in order to play DS lite games only on a DS Lite obviously.

I know the games are on a number of the torrent sites which I am familar with but am struggling with what card readers etc to buy.

Sorry if this has been covered time and time again.

Thanks in advance.
    Jon

10. mahek13

mahek13 Member

hi
    can you tell me exactly wot i have to do and then how to download games and were to ive just got my m3 and ive been trying 2 find out how to get games 4 it could you plz help send me a private msg or something plz

11. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  12. compy168

compy168 Member

Does the M3 SD supports the Kingston 4GB mini SDHC?
    Thanks!

13. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I am not sure (I only have the M3 CF version) however I do think there was a firmware update for the M3 to use SDHC cards.
    I would assume you need a standard SD card to be able to run the update, and I also think there were some drawbacks (like only being able to run videos/music, not run games)

I will do some research and see what I can find.

EDIT:
    So far I have found that v35 includes the SDHC update, when using SDHC cards with this firmware you can only use NDS mode (not GBA) and can only use the multimedia functions.

EDIT2:
    Yep, that seems to be it at the moment I can't find anything else. So unless your planning to only listen to music/watch videos your best sticking to a standard 2GB card.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  14. wangbu

wangbu Guest

hi im new to this, just want to clear things up. if i get the M3 will i need the passcard3 with it to work? and if i get the R4 would i still need the passcard3. also which is one of the two is best?

thanks in advance

15. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

wangbu,
    Anyone can tell you that the M3 and R4 are somewhat similar, same developer. I don't have an M3, but with the R4 you don't need the Passcard3. Patching, I suppose, happen during the transfer of games to the micro SD card.

16. wangbu

wangbu Guest

pryme_H thank you so much

17. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

You're welcome! I've put together a pretty basic guide. Locate it under my sig.

18. romaf06

romaf06 Member

the only homebrew app that works on my m3 real is moonshell...but when i leave the nds file in there and double clik it, it goes to two black screens like all the other homebrews. m3 real is meant to have auto patching but i assume it isnt very good at it. ive tried patching the ds files but they have the same result. i really need help people!

19. mahek13

mahek13 Member

Hi
    i only joined a few weeks ago and i would like 2 know how 2 use internet browser on my m3 not online play i already know how 2 do dat but i dont know how 2 get internet browser i downloaded the rom but it sed dat insert the this thing dat came wiv the internet browser i would like some help plz

thanx

20. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

What carts do you have? To use the Nintendo Internet Browser you require two carts, one in each slot. The actual browser goes in the top slot and a cart with compatible memory goes in the bottom slot.