1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mac burning DVD help

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by cguznicz, Nov 27, 2007.

1. cguznicz

cguznicz Member

Hi, I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions. I have a few questions... I have been using a Mac for 6 years, but I have just recently been attempting to burn DVDs on my G5. I have read many forums and discussions on how to do this and what various software I need to do it, and I have messed up quite a few discs trying to get this to work still.

I use MacTheRipper to rip the DVDs, and then tried compressing with DVD2OneX and then using the Disc Utility to burn the IMG file, until recently I saw that you can't burn that way so I was doing that wrong. So I have been researching more into it and saw that Popcorn or Toast might be the solution to my problem since they compress and burn.

I can't seem to find which 1 is better to buy to use, and I wanted to know if there are trials out there because I want to make sure it will definitely work before I buy it. If anyone could give me some tips on what they use and what works best and which version of Popcorn or Toast or if it matters?

I'm not a big guru on quality, I mean I don't want it to look horrible, but I don't need absolute 100% clearness as the original, I just want and backup of my DVDs that actually work and will play on my DVD player, which I still haven't achieved. My boyfriend has had success with his PC, but I really would rather do it on my Mac since I have a DVD for it than use my PC laptop and have to buy an external burner for it.

If anyone knows anything else I'd need or what to do, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. cguznicz

cguznicz Member

Also, would it matter if I got an old copy of Roxio toast like 5, 6 or 7? So I wouldn't have to pay as much. I think you can find some on amazon cheaper used or something, so I wanted to see if that mattered too??

3. david456

david456 Regular member

Hello, cguznicz:

Disk Utility will allow you to burn a disk image to a DVD.

1. Open Disk Utility
    2. Insert your blank (single-layer) DVD
    3. Click and drag your disk image into the left-side box of the Disk Utility window. Your disk image should now appear in the left-side box of the Disk Utility window. Your disk image should not exceed 4.35 GB, if you're burning to a single-layer DVD.
    4. Click on your disk image, in the left-side box of the Disk Utility window, to highlight your disk image.
    5. Click the Burn icon in the toolbar of the Disk Utility window.

Set the burn speed and you're good to go.