1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mac capturing from svhs and vhs using final cut pro

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by samichan, Aug 10, 2004.

1. samichan

samichan Member

hi, i havent used final cut pro yet and it kinda confuses me alot. btw i'm new and a new mac user. my aunt runs this memorial and community education program and we have like 50zillion vhs and svhs tapes of unedited footage all hand recorded that we would like made digital "cuz everythings digital nowadays"

so should i edit it analog first and would that be faster/more cost effective or should i transfer it first and then edit it? we dont have alot of space is why i'm asking...

i have more questions but i learn best one at a time.
    thanx
    sami

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

hello,
    final cut pro captures and edits digital video in an uncompressed .avi format. this file format is known for the enormous amounts of hard drive space it uses. you would need a large (at least 120GB) hard drive and a very powerful mac to edit digital video effectively. what are the analog editing options that you have available? analog may be your best option for editing, considering the amout of footage you are talking about. then capturing, encoding, authoring, and burning can be done on the mac.