1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac DVD reader question

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by lars14, Jun 30, 2007.

1. lars14

lars14 Member

Hey, just wondering....If it put the LG 8164b dvd reader in an external enclosure case like this one would work on a mac...I think it will but just need to make sure

It is just a DVD reader not burner..

Reason I need the LG 8164b is to read my wii games and make back up copies...the normal Mac g5 reader wont read it

It says on the website that the external enclousure will work on mac and pc but I want to know if the LG 8164b will

...Thanks!

2. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

it SHOULD work for reading DVDs, but unless your going to use virtual PC or they made a mac app to extract the Wii disk, i dont think it would work too well. You have to flash the dvd drive with the "special" firmware and use an application to read the disk contents. It would be cheaper and easier to me to just download games that you own off the net. then you could burn with disk utility. Thats what i do now anway

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  3. lars14

lars14 Member

alright thanks...I was going to use Mactheripper to rip the wii disc but w.e...I have some games downloading now. I don't have the mod yet since I'm hesitant that everything may not work on a mac.

But all I need to do is download the torrent file and wait while it downloads the .rar...open the .rar file and there shuold be an iso...so then I put it in disk utility and burn it to a dvd-r.

And I've heard stuff about the files being scrambled..do I need to worry about that since I'm just downloading the games and not ripping them?

4. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

I would highly doubt that the drive would not work on Mac. I have used an old Sony USB2/FW enclosure with an HP reader, LG reader and LG reader/writer with no problems. As long as the drive conforms to the ATA spec (which I'm sure 99% do), the mac will have no problems at all reading it.

I even put some generic DVD-RW that came in a 2005 Acer laptop into my old 2001 G3 PowerBook Pismo and it worked just fine.

I would be willing to wager you that it will work.
    As for the copying of Wii games I don't see why Mac the Ripper wouldn't work, or even toast titanium, maybe even *gasp* Disc Copy

Let us all know when you try it!

5. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

Mactheripper wont work,try the download below, this will decrypt the iso of the wii game, but i dont know if will actually RIP the game from the disk. just download the games you own and burn them with disk utility

Unscramble

6. lars14

lars14 Member

Alright so I won't be ripping the games from dvds...downloading only.

is it possible for a downloaded game to be scrambled?

I'm not really sure what being scambled means but I've downloaded one game and so far it's in a .rar file and another game I download is just an iso.

So I assume when I open the .rar an iso will pop out and I'll burn it to dvd with disc utility.

Thanks so much for the information!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  7. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

most (all) games will come ready to burn