1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac dvd reader question

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by lars14, Jun 30, 2007.

1. lars14

lars14 Member

Hey, just wondering....If it put the LG 8164b dvd reader in an external enclosure case like this one would work on a mac...I think it will but just need to make sure

It is just a DVD reader not burner..

Reason I need the LG 8164b is to read my wii games and make back up copies...the normal Mac g5 reader wont read it

It says on the website that the external enclousure will work on mac and pc but I want to know if the LG 8164b will

...Thanks!

2. LeDav007

LeDav007 Member

Can't answer but feel very interested about it !

Oh by the way, what software do you plan to use to extract ? I don't know if any is running on Mac OS X...

3. lars14

lars14 Member

I was going to try Mactheripper...but I've talked to another guy and he said to just stick with downloading the games instead of ripping them.

4. Demaster

Demaster Regular member

Yea, I'd suggest to stick with downloading. Rawdump 2.0 was, indeed, made for the four LG drives but it was also intended for windows as well (I know how u feel, I own both)

Also I'd forsee bad results with MactheRipper. As Mactheripper does it's "job" at ripping DVDs, its aim is more towards movies and movie discs have a much much much MUCH more different setup than Game/Wii DVDs (Else everyone would still be using DVDshrink, lol)

5. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

Intel based Macs with bootcamp and the LG drive should work.

Always use rawdump or download for backups.

6. Demaster

Demaster Regular member

Agreed

7. LeDav007

LeDav007 Member

Well yes downloading is for sure the easiest way... And well if you own the original game that's still a backup no ?

Don't know where the law is about all this private copy thing in different countries... Don't know if you're still allowed everywhere to do it. Europe had a big talk about this no ? Did not France forbid it ?

Well sorry, out of the subject... But confirmed, downloading is the easiest and very efficient way !

8. lars14

lars14 Member

alright well I don't have an intel based Mac..I have the G5 that came out before it so I'm going to download the games.

So all I have to do is download the game file thats a.rar...open the .rar file and there should be an iso...so then I put the iso in disk utility and burn it to a DVD-R.

And I've heard stuff about the files being scrambled..do I need to worry about that since I'm just downloading the games and not ripping them?

...thanks

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007