1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac The Ripper

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by modrich, Oct 10, 2004.

1. modrich

modrich Member

Hi

Very simple post and probably quite a dumb one but....

I have extracted a dvd using Mac the Ripper and am left with a whole load of files. I presume I now just copy those files to a dvd and bob's your uncle I have a copy of the dvd.

Rather than do that and waste a dvd I thought I know I'll look stupid and post a question instead!

Thanks guys

Rich

2. dfiddy

dfiddy Guest

Make sure the file is smaller than 4.3 gigs, otherwise you have to shrink it with programs such as DVDRemaster, DVD2oneX, etc... I use DVDRemaster myself it works everytime but is slow as molasses on a cold winters day. Any other question's holla back.

3. dfiddy

dfiddy Guest

Oh yea and asking questions isn't stupid...it's what forums are for...helping out one another and not being a prick about it like some other members i've noticed around here. =)

4. modrich

modrich Member

Thanks by the way - it worked and I copied it like a dream.
    Rich

5. lisika

lisika Member

Okay, I have another dumb question to ask too. I'm trying to do the same thing and I have Mac the ripper and DVD2onex, but it keeps on telling me I do not have enough space. Is it as simple as that?

I don't have enough space and I just need to dump some files off my system in order to shrink the files and burn? Sorry, I know, another dumb question.

6. dfiddy

dfiddy Guest

I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but i will try and help. When does it tell you that you do not have enough space... Is it after you use Mac the ripper or when you try and compress with DVD2oneX. Are you trying to burn it and its telling you you dont have enough space. I have mac the ripper and dvd2onex but dont use them only because I found a flawless method with dvdbackup and dvdremaster. I will mess around with the programs that you use and see what i can come up with. But in the mean time...what type of disks are you using, how big is your hard drive what type of OS are you runnin, what type of burner, what type of burning prog you using, Just trying to see where exactly the problem is...holla back.

7. lisika

lisika Member

It's asking me to free up space when I try to compress to DVD2Onex. I am using DVD-R discs which I think are the regular 4.7 gb size. My hard drive at the moment is 20 gb and I am working on Mac OSX. My burner is a LaCie dual layer DVD/CD Burner, which I just purchased. And, my burning software is Toast Titanium 6.

I was going to try using DVD backup and MacReMaster too, but I seen another person's thread and they used the two applications and said it worked perfect. Well, I'll see if this works. I'm sure it's probably because I need more space but, just in case, I want to narrow down all the possibilities. Thanks for your help.

8. Hammer610

Hammer610 Member

I was having a similar problem, although it might be at a
    different stage. I was able to use DVDBackup. I was also able
    to use DVD2oneX to compress the video down to the DVD
    capacity. It was when I went to use Toast 6 that I ran into
    trouble.

I made the mistake of setting Toast 6 to the Video tab. When
    I did that, Toast responded that my DVD-R (or RW) was not
    large enough, even though my file size was just right for the
    DVD.

When copying the VIDEO_TS files using Toast 6, that you must
    use the Data tab, not the Video tab.

Also, under the Basic/Advanced tabs, select Advanced. Then
    select DVD-ROM (UDF) or else the DVD will not play on the
    Mac. When I did all of this, it copied onto the DVD-R just fine
    and plays in my new DVD player and the Mac. If I left it on
    the Mac&PC selection, it did not play on the Mac, but did play
    on the DVD player.

In Toast 6, select the "New Disk" option at the bottom. Then
    name the disk. Drag both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders
    into the Toast window.
    I am not certain about is how important it is to name the DVD
    properly. Instructions I have read say it is crucial to name the
    disk the same name as the original DVD, including the
    name_with_ underlines between the words.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  9. woolfgang

woolfgang Member

20GB's isn't much, especially when you're running OSX. If it's not the problem now, it will be soon.

10. lisika

lisika Member

I haven't burned my movie as of yet, but so far everything is working just fine. Instead of using DVD2OneX, I used MacReMaster because the demo for the other would only give me 30 minutes worth. Was not too thrilled about that.

When I burn, I will let you know.

11. lisika

lisika Member

Well, thanks all for your help. I finally burned the movie. When I played the movie it would randomly become pixelated and then go back to clear. Everything else seemed great. I used Mactheripper and DVDReMaster. I think I should have used it with a slower (best) option with DVDReMaster. I used plain Upper and lowercase text and no underscores and it still burned. So wondering which part of the process is the problem. Anyone have an idea?

12. lithica

lithica Guest

Hi,
    I really am a newbie and i really don't know much about any of this. I was just wonderinf if i could clear up how this all works. I have a G5, i installed mac the ripper and i have toast 6. It is it simply a case of putting the files mac the ripper extraccts into toast and buring a dvd. I a little confused aout the compression aspect of ripping and would appriacte some basic advice to help me better understand the whole process of dvd ripping.

cheers

13. lisika

lisika Member

First of all, I fixed the pixelating problem. thanks for everyone who helped me figure it out. I really did appreciate it. Now, I have really good copies of my favorites. This helps especially when you lend them out.

So Lithica, besides having MactheRipper, you also need a dvd shrinking program if you want to put them on regular dvds. I suggest using DVDReMaster, you can download that from http:\\versiontracker.com. It's shareware but you get a 21 day trial period and the program itself only cost around 40 bucks. I suggest checking all the Readme Files before you start. And then, burn to toast, but don't forget when you burn to toast, you need to use Data and select the UDF. I'm sure I forgot something but that is the jist of things.

14. smutans

smutans Member

Does anyone have advice for a similar problem discussed here, if the ripping and burning seems to have gone well, but the DVD-R will not play either in a stand alone or on the computer? Perhaps Memorex DVD-R is not recommended?
    Much thanks.

15. dav.c

dav.c Member

I have Mac the Ripper and DVD2OneX. They have worked in the past, and I have been able to back up some DVDs. Recently they have stopped working though, and I'm not sure which app to blame.

When ripping a DVD, Mac the Ripper creates the AUDIO_TS directory and the VIDEO_TS directory. However the AUDIO_TS directory is empty.

When trying to load the VIDEO_TS directory using DVD2OneX, it does not load, as if something was not right.

However, I can use the DVD Player software and load the VIDEO_TS directory and watch the DVD, and even get the audio.

Any idea what's going wrong here? Is the AUDIO_TS directory supposed to be empty?

16. RED_BULL

RED_BULL Guest

The audio_ts file is always empty.It means for the dvd-players
    on tv.
    Some dvd-players wont read the dvd without the audio_ts file.
    Thats why you have to burn the dvd always with video AND
    audio_ts.

dav.c,try dvdremaster to open the video_ts file.
    Be sure that if you have to select the files to small you only
    select the video_ts not both.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2004
  17. smutans

smutans Member

I'm using Mac the Ripper, DVD2oneX, and Toast to copy DVDs. All seems to be going well, but when I put the burned DVD-R in to a DVD player or computer, the player says it is playing, but all that I see is a black screen? Any help? I feel like I'm probably just missing one small step somewhere...

18. Hammer610

Hammer610 Member

Smutans, there are oh so many possibilities!
    1) Are you sure that your DVD player can play DVD-R?
    2) When setting up Toast, did you follow the steps outlined in my earlier posting on this thread? Which version of Toast are you using?

If your DVD player cannot handle a DVD-R, it will sometimes say it is playing, but nothing but a blank screen. But most of the time, a DVD player will just sit there and try to identify the disk, then eventually come up with a message like "No Disk". If your Mac is also coming up with a blank screen, then it could be the options you have set in Toast are not correct.

When starting Toast 6, be sure to select the DATA tab.
    Then, on the lower right, above the large red button, make certain DVD is selected (not CD) as your recording option.
    Make certain that the DISK OPTIONS window is open (small blue button located near the title area near the top left). Then, select the ADVANCED button. Make certain that DVD-ROM (UDF) is selected.
    At the bottom, select the NEW DISK option. For the title of the NEW DISK, it has been suggested that it is important that the disk have the exact title of the disk as it appeared on the desktop when you insert it into your Mac, including any underlines that may have appeared.
    Now drag both folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS into the Toast window. Press record.

Lets hope it works.

19. smutans

smutans Member

Thanks for the tips...I followed all the advice given, and I have been met mostly with success. The exception is with a DVD that when inserted into my Mac, had a title with lower cases and spaces. When I burned the DVD in Toast, I gave it the all caps & _ title instead. This burned DVD-R will not play. Could the original title be the problem? Is there a way to work around this? I'm using Mac the Ripper, DVD2oneX, and Toast 6.0. Thanks for the help.

20. gerlep

gerlep Member

Hi i have been reading all this info very carefully Perhaps some kindly soul could tell me where I am going wrong. I have Mac Ripped a dvd, and using tab/advanced advice on this thread burned using toast. I didn't compress the file as I wasn't sure this was absolutely necessary as the DVD had enough room on it. Secondly, I used DVD+RW, not sure if it is advisable to use this. Anyway, not only wouldn't it play on my own DVD player, but my pwerbook G4 just rejected it, wouldn't even accept the disc. Any advice would be appreciated.