1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac users hit with 'ransomware' demanding $400

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by ddp, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Mac users have been hit with what's being called the first-ever incident of ransomware attacks in which victims are being instructed to pony up $400 if they want to get their files back.

First detected on Friday, the ransomware dubbed "KeRanger" is confirmed to be the first fully functional ransomware seen on the OS X platform.

Users at risk are those who use the program Transmission to transfer data through the BitTorrent peer-to-peer sharing network.

Attackers infected Transmission version 2.90, which was released for download over the weekend.

The ransomware manifests itself after three days, and demands that victims pay one bitcoin (about $400) to a specific address to retrieve their files, reports network security firm Palo Alto Networks.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/mac-users-hit-with-ransomware-demanding-400-1.2806469

2. aldan

aldan Active member

hey ddp,i think you must be mistaken.its common knowledge that macs dont get malware.hahahaha

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I'm just posting what I found on the internet news.

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Serves them right.. calling my computer a win-DOZE!
    oops I think that was the linux group.. oh well, I hope they both get it.... lol

5. aldan

aldan Active member

hahaha

6. Admiral_Smith

Admiral_Smith Newbie

Transmission is a good torrent client but I noticed it does not work that well so I reverted back to the ad-laden utorrent and it works just fine. I heard of the apple ipad ransomware. I heard of it. I read somewhere on extratorrent.cc about a hospice in Los Angeles that had ransomware in their hospital and they paid I guess around $12,000 to access their data.