1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. darknav65

darknav65 Member

what should i use then?

2. agj1023

agj1023 Member

just MTR and Toast 7

3. darknav65

darknav65 Member

i don't know what is up with the dvds that i use because i used mtr and toast 7 and it burns fine, but the dvd player reads it with problems and also my macbook.

4. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Currently, most recorders/players are EITHER DVD-R OR DVD+R. Look in the manual of the machine you're trying to use for playback. In general, for DVD video use (movies etc), then use DVD-R - for data storage, use DVD+R.
    And see my bit of blog, this column, 11 DEC

Terry

5. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

I too had problems when I tried to play the movies I burned on my DVD player, and found that my DVD player did not play writeable DVD's...or at least didn't advertise that it would play them, and they skipped all over the place. So check if it's your player rather then your discs.

6. darknav65

darknav65 Member

no, it's not just my dvd player that skips, but my macbook too. my mac plays everything, but it's just that i haven't tried burning onto dvd-r, mainly because i have a ton of dvd+r

7. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

I think you'll find that's the problem Dave

8. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

Okay, I have a question about formatting to mpeg4 video format (ipod format). Is MTR able to convert a DVD to ipod format so I can watch the video on my ipod? Any help is appreciated.
    ~dave

9. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

mp4 conversion can be done with handbrake.

depending on what brand of dvds you are using... that may be your issue of skipping. only use verbatim or taiyo yuden.

10. fiendfest

fiendfest Member

isquint,handbreak and popcorn 2 will convert to mp4. I personally rather go with isquint it's free and it works all the time.

11. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Look who's back! Checking in to see what's new around here. One of these days I'll update the rip/compress/burn thread.

For now though the best options in my opinion are

Ripping: Mac The Ripper
    Compression: dvd2oneX (or toast 7)
    Burn: Toast 7

12. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

Okay, I got Verbatim DVD-R's and about half of the time my DVD's burn just fine, the other half of the time though at the end of the writing stage I get a message that says:

The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x03, 0x01
    Then when I click OK, it says: The disc failed to be written.

I find it odd that some of the time it burns fine, and other times it fails when I have changed nothing. This is a foreign language to me and I have no idea what it means. Can anyone help me?

13. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Either bad media or your burner isn't compatible with it. Either way change media.

14. darknav65

darknav65 Member

This is exactly what happened to me, but my problem was that i was using TDK's DVD+R, and i have a macbook. To fix the problem, I just started using Sony's DVD-R and my problems are completely fixed, all of my dvds burn perfectly, I just rip, compress, and toast.

15. MsIrisMG

MsIrisMG Member

First of all, I want to thank you for putting together a guide like this for neophytes like me. I just burnt a disc image of MacTheRipper to load on my home computer. I appreciate your thoroughness.

What I'm in the process of doing now is archiving my VHS tapes to DVD. My plan is to just get them all on disc first, so I'm using DVD-R format. I want to be able to "rip" them from these DVDs, take them into iMovie or iDVD and cut out commercials, etc., then reburn them to DVD-R. What I'd like to ask you is, where in your step-by-step is the editing? Obviously before the Toast step, but is it after the ripping, or is it after the compressing step?

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question! Maybe your revised guide will include this optional step! Thanks, and Happy New Year!

16. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Hang on. Could be easy, could be not so easy:
    If you have a 3-in-1 combo DVD recorder you are using for dubbing the VHS tapes, then it must have some editing features, and so you should dub to the recorder's hard-disk, and edit there, then burn straight from the hard-disk to a DVD.
    If you're editing out commercials, then you must have recorded from TV so no worries about the tapes being encrypted (copy-protected).
    There's a whole book by Progue on using iMovie/iDVD, so don't expect a quick and easy guide on this site - and don't expect it to be easy even with the book - you'll need to start understanding about VIDEO_TS files versus DV files (which iMovie/iDVD work in).
    Firstly, then - how are you digitilizing your tapes - what recorder are you using?

17. Spidey187

Spidey187 Member

Can anyone please help me? I am trying to burn home vids I imported into Imovie via camcorder. I tried using IDVD but keep getting errors. Is there another program I can use ie, Toast 7 and/or Quicktime Pro 7? Please keep in mind that I would like the audio and video quality to match the original. I already tried burning the .mov file in Toast 7 but the DVD only played back with sound, no video. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

18. macpaddy

macpaddy Guest

Thanks mediaguru for the tutorial - its been very useful and through reading it and researching a few months ago I bought a Lacie double layer external DVD drive (16x8x816x) for my G4ibook, which I’m running OSx 10.3.9.

I used 'MTR' to rip, 'handbrake' to compress, and 'toast' to burn the film. MTR gave me TS files and Handbrake gave me MP4. I burned the MP4 file to the disk, as I couldn't select all of the video and audio files when in MTR...?...(it would only let me select 1 TS folder) - does this mean something went wrong?

The MP4 rip went fine and played perfect from my desktop, and the DVD begins playing fine in the DVD player. But after 10 minutes the audio goes out of sync.

So I figured out that Handbrake could rip and compress so I tried using it without MTR but the outcome was exactly the same.

4 films later and I’m completely lost and still out of sync. I guess- reading this back - I’ve just answered my own question now - I should go back to scratch, copy the tutorial step by step and scrap this 'handbrake'...just use another compressor with MTR...?....is there any free ones...?

19. darknav65

darknav65 Member

if you have toast 7, go to make a video dvd from a Video_TS folder that you rip using Mac the Ripper and it has the option to compress and burn...two simple steps and you got a fine dvd.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  20. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

Ya, I use MTR to rip into a Video_TS file and then compress and burn using the Video_TS option in Toast 7, and it works great. Try compressing through Taost.