1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. minetoo

minetoo Member

Hi, this is the first time on this forum and am having a big problem, I have a LG DN191H DVD player and it will up scale to 1080i if the disk has no copy gaurd I have lots of DVDs that I would love to see in HD I have a old 65" mits. HDTV vintage 1999 with only component inputs for HD, and this, LG player will up scale to 1080i on component outputs. I have a eMac G4 that I put a new dvd burner in, not easy 2002 had to remove fans. Sorry wondering, I'm using MTR. and Toast7 so I have some dollars in this,DVD player that up scales with component, DVD burner, Toast7. But cannot get it to work. I know it should I was lent a A/P that was copyed on a PC. and it opened and played in HD 16/9 1080i so what an I doing wrong will someone help PLEASE, PLEASE Thank You, DAVID

2. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Don't get all excited at the prospect of suddenly having a library of HDTV movies- my Sony player also up-converts but I'll be blowed if I can tell much difference. Also, how much compression was used to fit the program on the disc since this will reduce visual quality. HDTV, from a genuine HDTV player, will show you what is there on the disc- - and out-of focus, grainy, wartime battlefield footage will look exactly like that in HDTV as well - it's not a picture-enhencement tool.

Terry

3. minetoo

minetoo Member

hi, I try very hard not to use compr.on toast, I just do the movie, 5.1, english, most times no copr. or the most i used was 16%. the disk that worked was off a PC. what I was doing was first MTR.saved file. opened toast droped vid.ts onto toast. went to opt.picked movie only,5.1,english. hit go. Q IF THERE WAS COPY PROTECT LEFT ON DISK TOAST WOULD NOT HAVE COPIED IT WOULD IT? do not know. need help. very new at this I try not to do, or will not try movies that are dark like Harry P. because of the grain from the fast film speed but there are a lot of good movies with the sun out. (Q) there was a diff. with the movie I saw. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO GET THIS TO WORK SO I CAN SAY YES OR NO THIS IS SOMETHING I WANT TO DO AND SEE. Thanks help is needed.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

minetoo, knock off the caps lock as is referred to as shouting.
    9. No ALL CAPS MESSAGES or you will be banned (you know, turn the caps lock off before you type anything).

5. malakas07

malakas07 Member

Hey guys,

question. I back up using mac the ripper and Toast7. My problem is the final product doesn't play on some dvd players. Some will some won't. One of the ones that do not is my Xbox 360. which is a bummer since I use as my main DVD player. Other DVD players my back ups work just fine.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm using Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5gb 2.4x.

thanks,

6. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

minetoo - do you have DVD2One? I have had trouble with some movies if I used MTR and then burned a disc from that file.
    1. Do a whole disc extraction with MTR and save the file to desktop.
    2. Use DVD2One in Movie Only extraction mode and save to desktop.
    Then use the Select button on Toast to choose that file (be sure to go right into the folder/ file till you see the individual VOB files before you press Choose.
    3 Then burn and try the disc (a) with DVDPlayer and (b) your DVD player connected to your TV.
    Let us know what happens.

Terry

7. minetoo

minetoo Member

thanks Terry, I didn't mean to make it look like I was shouting, If anything I'm begging for help sorry I didn't know. I'm new to this and a friend said to try and find an answer on line. I don't know all the ways the people write and what they mean sorry again. Terry I will try that I hope it works to, Thanks Minetoo.

8. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

I would also try different DVD-R's...I had problems with verbatims and found by trying different brands that the Sony DVD-R's seem to work best for me. I would fool around with different media and you may have better luck.

9. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Davehyatt: I've gone back to using Sony discs exclusively myself....

and am I grasping what minetoo is actually, really, asking - is it about trying to get HDTV quality from normal discs, or is he having problems in ripping, compressing, and getting discs to play on various machines??????? I may be confusing him even more.

Terry

10. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

I'm not sure...but I think he's trying to get his DVD burner to upscale the DVD and make it like an HD DVD. I'm not a pro, but I agree with you that with regular dvd's and ordinary burning software/hardware, there will be no noticable quality in picture. In my opinion, burn it normal....it'll save time, effort and the same quality will be attained. Don't know if this helps though.

11. minetoo

minetoo Member

Hi this is Minetoo, It's not that i"m trying to get HD out of sandard disks. It's that insted of my dvd player upscaleing with HDMI. It also dos it with coponent vidio outputs.And my TV is a old mitz. RPCT with only HD through component not HDMI. thats all i'm trying to do is to get what every one else is getting it's just. I have to copy my movies to get the copy protection off of them, and play them over component vid. outputs. Im haveing trouble getting them to work. Don't know why. I played a friends dvd disk he copyed for one of his vid. and it worked it was great. I just don't have HDMI and this is the only way for me to upscale my dvds. Thanks for any help. I used MTR. then dvd2one to compress then toast to burn it but the dvd player is picking up something on my copys that was not there on the PC. copy of my friends.

12. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

I've never heard of a DVD player recognizing a copy protection and not playing a DVD, wouldn't that happen on all DVD's then? Anyway, I would try using MTR and then use Toast 7 to compress and burn...try skipping the step with DVD2One. Or you could trying using Handbrake to Rip instead of MTR. I don't know, maybe that will help. You could also try changing media.

13. kayd_6126

kayd_6126 Member

Im a complete retard when it comes to computers. All I wanted to know is once ive ripped dvds how do I play them back? I also have them saved onto an external hard drive thinggie

14. toyotaf1

toyotaf1 Member

Hi, i have been using a powerbook G4 for about a year or so, but i have currently upgraded my mac drive to a superdrive (matshita UJ-85J). i currently used mactheripper to rip dvds and toast 7 to compress (if need) and to burn. my problem is that it doesnt play on my phillips dvd player/recorder. i think the issue might be that the burnt copy is not the same as the original copy eg. disk title is different. thanks

15. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

Try different media (different brands of DVD-R's)...you might find that your dvd player does not play certain brands of DVD-R's or even that your dvd player does not play writeable dvd's at all. Check the compatibility of your dvd player, it shouldnt matter that you don't have all the menus and screens as the original dvd. I've found Sony DVD-R's to work best with my superdrive and seems to playback best on a variety of dvd players. hope this helps.

16. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

What form are you ripping them into (Video_TS?) and what programs are you using? You can typically 'mount' the ripped form which will allow your computer to recognize the movie. Toast 7 has a mount capability and automatically pops up as an option after I have burned to a dvd.

17. toyotaf1

toyotaf1 Member

'davehyatt' thanks for you help thus far. i have been using a TDK dvd-R to copy dvd with the superdrive. before this i used this media (tdk dvd-R) on my pc dvd burner and it works on it.....

18. kayd_6126

kayd_6126 Member

complete retard here.. so ill download toast and see what problems i have, or rather dont have cheers

19. UncNunkie

UncNunkie Member

You guys run a great forum here. I'm trying to put several of my movies on one dvd to make them easier to carry around. Do you have advice for which files to look out for to delete so I can scale down the size of the movie file? For example, certain chapters, trailers, language options, etc?

20. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

UncKnuckie - don't even think of it ( deleting individual files) ! - you'll jigger up the movies' housekeeping and it won't play.
    Have you ripped off the whole disc? If so, then use DVD2One and use Movie Only to extract the movie automatically. Do this for each movie. Then use DVD2One, and the second part of the Movie-only function, which is, "or join together.... " and select the first movie, Click on the single plus button, and then Choose the next movie from its folder. (MTR has a movie-only extraction function, but when I've burned it to disc, more often than not, they won't play.)
    Having said that, the end result is, are they going to be watchable? Just how many movies were you thinking of putting on one disc? Yes, my JVC player/recorder with variable bit rate writing will cram 8 hours onto a one hour disc, but the visual quality is shot to pieces. An extracted 2 hour movie written to hard disc is usually 4.3-4.7. To fit that on the original commercial disc, it must have been written at least at half the highest bit rate for one hour of video, that is, 5,000 bps, for starters, (as opposed to 10,000). To cram on two movies (4 hours of video), it would drop to 2,500.
    I hope it's that you didn't realize this, otherwise I despair that the "throw-away consumer generation" has escalated to, 'and forget quality anymore - just as long as my collection fits in my bag.' If so, then HDTV is doomed!!!