1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. gibson424

gibson424 Member

I haven't read this entire thread so if this has already been answered I apologize. I've got this master plan to rip all of my dvds to a massive hard drive and then use a Mac Mini with Front Row to access them. I'm using Handbrake for lesser films (comedies like Mallrats don't need to be full DVD quality to be enjoyed) but I can't figure out the best way to rip, say, Star Wars. I've used Mac the Ripper, but it separates the movie into like 6 TS files and I can't play it back without having to select each individual file. Is there a way to combine these files without losing quality? The whole point of this is to have full DVD quality versions of these movies so I don't want to compress them, I just want them to be one single file that I can access.

2. malakas07

malakas07 Member

Alright Guys, I've switched over from Verbatim to Sony's DVD+R DL and I am still having no luck getting burned DL's to play on my XBOX 360. Suck's since my primary player is the Xbox.

My steps are Mac the Ripper and then Toast 7 to burn.

any of you guy's having any luck with xbox 360 playback?

Forgot to mention that just as the Verbatims the Sony's play in some DVD players and not in others.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  3. darknav65

darknav65 Member

i use mac the ripper andi can play the movie fine in one piece because i use the dvd player that comes in the macbook and open the video_ts folder and all the files open, not just one.

4. gibson424

gibson424 Member

I have used that workaround as well, but that doesn't work through front row. the whole point is that i want to use front row to watch the movies without having to launch DVD player and open the TS file.

5. aaron_rip

aaron_rip Member

Okay, so I followed the guide. I'm using MTR 2.6.6 and Toast 7 (no compression software because the file is only 262MB). I'm only trying to make a DVD copy of just 1 chapter. I've thoroughly read the MTR pdf manual for extracting individual chapters, but to no avail. When I play it with DVD player I get a system error: "could not detect a valid media file -70001." Tried several times. Also tried dragging the VIDEO_TS folder into Toast under the video>DVD video from VIDEO_TS and it says "this is not a valid VIDEO_TS folder, it cannot be selected." Tried multiple DVDs, and different extractors (OSeX, DVDBackup 1.3) for the heck of it. What am I doing wrong?!?!?

6. SnoogansJ

SnoogansJ Member

Great GUIDE!!
    All is working well and I am able to get everything do as needed....yet I was wondering my blank dvds can hold more than just one DVD sometimes (i think...)

Does ANYONE know of a way that I can put two DVDS onto one? I'm going to sacrifice a blank right now and just put them together, however I don't think it's gonna work. Anyone with advice. To help further...I'm taking 2 discs from the season of a show (4 episodes on each) and trying to mash them together. I fear it will not work. Let me know!
    ~SnoogansJ!

7. davehyatt

davehyatt Member

Snoogans, see the last post on pg. 20 of this forum. I have not this myself, but I believe this question was already answered by terryx on that page. Hope this helps. Also, be aware you're going to lose a significant amount of quality of the videos by cramming them onto 1 disk.

8. Masters90

Masters90 Member

I'm interested in buying one of these programs, but I'm confused as to what I should use. I use MTR of course but from there I don't know if I should invest in both DVD2One X to compress then toast to burn or if I should just buy toast to do both the compressing and burning. How is the compressing quality on Toast? I've heard both good and bad, do I need DVD2One X for good quality or would I be all good to go with just Toast?

9. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

I've found the compression done under Toast to be too much of a sledgehammer approach. DVD2One has far more control, automatically adjusting the amount of compression to how much data to be fitted.
    Just as important (to me) is the control over WHAT you extract once you've done a full disc MTR rip. DVD2One allows you to pick out the movie only, or specific episodes from a TV series, or each layer separately (great when you have a visually great quality movie they have split over two layers so as not to degrade quality and you want to keep that quality by burning each layer to a separate disc), and even down to specific chapters and cells. If you do much work ripping and burning, then without DVD2One, you have no flexibility.

10. malakas07

malakas07 Member

Hey guys fixed my problem

So for you guys using an Xbox 360 as your main dvd player.

try this.

Booted up XP using Bootcamp.

Installed AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

Verbatim disc.

Works like a champ.

11. ichamandy

ichamandy Member

I used Mac The Ripper to rip a DVD. It created a VIDEO_TS folder that is 4.13 gigs. When I tried to use Toast to burn it, I got an error message that said:

Sense key = medium error
    Sense code = 0x73, 0x03

It doesn't tell me anything else. I got the same error on two different blank DVDs. Why can't I burn this DVD?

Thank you!

12. juniorz

juniorz Member

thank you, thank you, thank you for the guide. However, being new to all this, am having problems. Decrypted movie using mactheripper, then used dvdxdv trial version to edit clip. Playback on preview was fabulous. Playback on extracted clip was very poor (I'm prepared to make allowances for the fluorescent trial label across the video, but the wobbly image behind was extremely disappointing). I have quicktime, but can't seem to make any use of it, except as a player.

would appreciate any advice

13. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

The Mac DVD recorder is getting feedback as it burns. I've had this message many times with a bad lot of spindle blank DVDs, telling me the blank medium has not burnt properly ( hence MEDIUM error - get it?. Try using a Sony disc.

terry

14. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

juniorz- why not with DVD player?
    Anyway, try burning it to a disc then playing back - dx recordings with iDVD don't look good till after they are burnt.

15. ezyemail

ezyemail Member

is there another burning program to use with mac the ripper other that dvdtoone? its expired and want a free program that will shrink and burn before i pay for dvd2one

thanksa

16. Ippala101

Ippala101 Member

hey guys,

i am trying to back up my copy of marie antoinette. mac the ripper wont rip it so I am trying to go the Disc Image route. I used DVD Imager to create the image and then tried to burn using disk utility (although I don't know if I did this correctly - i burned the .img file that was created through DVD Imager). Everything seemed to work fine - DVD Player on my mac recognized the disc and even asked if I would like to play from the last position. When i clicked yes an error message popped up saying "DVD Player cannot read the disc - it may be dirty or scratched" What am I doing wrong?

17. o2012o

o2012o Member

I'm using the 3.0 beta on a macbook pro 2.2ghz (core 2 duo), and every time I open it there is an error and closes. Does anyone else have this problem?

18. stjoe3282

stjoe3282 Member

Hey, Great tutorial. I followed it to the letter but the disc I ripped compressed and burned is all audio no video...any advice?

19. coleman79

coleman79 Member

Firstly, thank you for this tutorial. It has been very very helpful. But alas when I thought I was complete I ran into a problem. I have been burning my DVDs using: MactheRipper---DVD2oneX---Toast Titanium.

They play perfectly on my powermac G5, but for some reason when I try to play them on a standard DVD player there is no audio. I verified that the Audio TS folder is on theDVD. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you in advance!

20. clayalley

clayalley Member

Thank you so much for this guide. I am following along but have yet to burn a dvd. I have an eMac running 10.3.9 (just upgraded from 10.2.8) have an external dvd drive ( Sony DRX-830UL-T and just bought Memorex Dvd+R double layer 8.5 GB. Have Mac the Ripper installed, NTI Dragon Burn and trial version of DVD2One. Now from reading the posts, I just ordered Toast 7 (Circuit City.com has it) since Toast 8 requires 10.4..... and still cannot burn anything with either the NTI Dragon Burn or the Toast 6 Lite that came with the burner. Am really getting frustrated.

Don't know if I have the right burner - or the right software - or the right dvd media. Total newbie Any help, guidance would be appreciated.