1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

2. mettur

mettur Member

I have similar problem as gaspump57. One of the movies "Village" seems to work OK with mac the ripper 2.6. It creates a VIDEO_TS folder and plays with DVD player. But when I try to compress and write to disk with either DVD2OneX or "Popcorn" it does not work.

In DVD2OneX I do not see the "sections" to select the subtitile or any thing, and the "Start" button is not highlighted so I cannot write to disk or file.

In popcorn as soon as I drag (or open) the VIDEO_TS folder, it says it is not compatible some such error message.

Has any one seen this type of problem before.

I am going to try with mac the ripper 2.6.1 and see if that's any better.

3. Niltac

Niltac Member

So I already spent loads (probably more than i needed) On Toast and my external burner. Is there any free software that will allow me to burn commercial DVDs? I know Mac the Ripper is free but DVD2OneX isn't. Is it definitely worth it to buy that program as well? Does anyone know of free compressors for macs?

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

For the dough I think dvd2onex is $39. If you can't afford that then I don't know what to say because it's worth it!

5. mactran

mactran Member

Now that iDvd in iLife 05' supports all CD-+R(W) formats, is it still necessary to purchase Toast? Or would it be possible to use mac the ripper, dvd2oneX, then the new iDvD?

6. cohenmv

cohenmv Member

hey mediaguru (and knowledgeable others) i am an admitted "newbie" when it comes to burning dvd's on a mac. thanks for the very informative instruction guide, but i do have one question. you say "use toast", but does it matter if it is the full toast program, or can i use toast lite? i have successfully used mactheripper and dvdremaster, but when i have burned the disk using toast lite, the disk is unrecognizeable on both my mac and dvd players. am i doing something wrong with toast lite or do i have to use the full program. thanks.

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

8. cwatters

cwatters Member

how can one rip and burn a PAL format DVD so that it plays with the DVD players and..
    is it true that the GMAC5's dual processor will only burn a DVD-R that is playable on most DVD players. It seems that the DVD+R will not play in my DVD players but will play on computers.

9. trassalg

trassalg Member

Can anyone help guide me to a FAQ or to a program that will allow me to take ".avi" files (DIVX, that is) and burn them onto either a CD or a DVD to play in a DVD player. I've tried using Toast and burning a 700MB file as a VCD, but never had any luck (always too large a file for a CD).

Thanks in advance for any help.

trassalg @ gmail.com

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Look at ffmpegx.

11. Trinh99

Trinh99 Member

hi sorry to bother you i know you've probably gotten lots of questions...how about one more...you've been really helpful...do i have to buy both dvd2onex and toast to compress and burn? thanks a bunch

12. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Yep. But you should be able to find toast out there for cheap. Many times it just comes with a drive.

13. flossymoo

flossymoo Guest

OK, Mediaguru. You are the fountain of knowledge and know heaps, and I need to tap your brain! Way back at the beginning of this thread you spoke about DVDxDV and having to rip to make the picture convert properly. Well, I ripped with Mac the ripper and it was all sweet, but no matter what I do with DVDxDV, the picture comes out either boxy, or with lines, or just plain ugly! I am importing a vob file into it, and have tried every format to convert to, and it just doesn't wanna work. Help! What can I do? I need to edit a short feature in iMovie, and am totally lost as to any other way to do it!

Thank you thank you thank you, from a girl who's just a little frazzled!!

14. trassalg

trassalg Member

I tried FFMPEGX, but it gave me nothing but problems. Always crashing. Any other options for making VCD's or burning DIVX files (AVI's) to CDs or DVD's?

15. chdancer

chdancer Guest

I presently am making multiple copies of my dvdr with Mac. Is there a way to burn off multiples at one time without externally linking several dvdrw drives? Is there a rack unit availlable? Would love to know. It takes ENTIRELY too much time to do many at such a slow rate individually.

16. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

For the correct $$ I can BUILD you a duplicator that can dupe 1-1 up to 1-9 at the same time.

17. jaescor

jaescor Guest

Hi all,

I am also at the mercy of your kindness as I've followed the steps outlined above, but keep getting the same error at the tailend of the burn - "Buffer Underrun". Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jaescor

18. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Under recorder settings select "buffer underrun protection".

If that doesn't do it, slow down your burn speed. If that doesn't do it store your data on a different drive than your system that is more wide open.

19. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Flossymoo:

Does your rip play ok in DVD Player? Try to use toast to make a disk image and mount it. See if dvdxdv will deal with the disc image better than your vob file.

I really don't know why you are having a problem unless your data is still encrypted.

20. Miamiblue

Miamiblue Member

Such an amazing THREAD!! Extremely happy that I found it. I could go on but I won't bore you guys with non-sense....
    Ok, Question time:
    I have a 14" IBOOK 1.25 ghz with superdrive. Do I need to use dvd+r or dvd-r? (I have heard that the superdrive doesn't do dvd+r)
    Next question is can I view ripped dvds on my hard-drive? If so, can it be viewed after ripping it, or after compressing it?
    Thanks guys! Great thread!