1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Catz, Gameshark, PSTwo, and a load of bull.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rederived, Oct 21, 2004.

1. rederived

rederived Member

Just wanted to give you a heads up about Mad Catz and the line of bull they give.

On the gameshark site it states that their products are compatible with the new the new PSTwo. Well, I went out and got a new PSTwo last night and put the gameshark in for my nephew. Low and behold, I got the insert PS2 disc screen.

This morning I called Mad Catz to see why it doesn't work as they state on their site.

His first excuse was that a dirty lens could cause the problem. So ... of course I reminded him that it was no more than an hour from when I bought the machine to trying the gameshark. Dirty lense not likely to be the problem.

He then actually had the nerve to make the comment of the Playstaion being a shotty piece of electronics that is not reliable. I just laughed. Pretty lame answer.

Then he goes to say "Well maybe sony put a block on it." Ok, so just to let you know he was insinutating that sony might have put a block in the time from his PSTwo to mine. He just got his a week ago. Pretty unlikely Sony change the PSTwo from last week to this week just for that.

Now get this, after no more excuses, he actually goes on to admit that it probably wont work on all PS2's.

At that point, of course I ask him why they advertise that it does. He states because it worked when he tested on his machine. Nice! Base a decision on one machine. Could you only imagine people putting out products that they test on one machine? Granted, you never know it might of been tested on multiple machine but he did not suggest that to me. He just kept saying "My machine.".

I then said if you know it might not work on all machines then why do they advertise that it does. He got pretty defensive. I told him that was midleading advertising and people will go buy their products based on what they state but will find out they don't always work. I mentioned they should be honest and state it might not work on all PS2's. He got even more defensive and then just flat out rude and said he didn't know because he is not in charge of the website.

It was at that point I asked to speak to somebody else with a little more authority then. Of course I got transferred to some middleman (or middlewoman I should say) that put me into the supervisors voice mail.

If I get that call back, I'll let you know the outcome.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up before you go off buying any products from Mad Catz to later find out they don't work.

Just for note, here is the quote from their site.

"On a side note, some third party cheat devices have had technical problems on the Sony PlayStation 2 Redesign, though there have not been any problems with other peripherals and devices currently on the market. We also would like to point out that both Mad Catz' peripherals and GameShark's line-up of products for the PlayStation 2 work just fine."

Work just fine? Yeah right. Maybe it should say:

"Works just fine if you have my machine or your brand new one is not a blocked, shotty piece of electronics with a dirty lense that is not compatible with our products."

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  2. rederived

rederived Member

Sorry for all the typos people.

3. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

they did the same to me. my gameshark with media player thing wouldnt work on my version 7 ps2 so i took it back to best buy and demanded i get a refund. try taking it back to where you bought it and if they say they cant do that say something about sony changing the bios in the new playstation 2 so it will no longer work and throw a fit. works every time =)

4. rederived

rederived Member

I can't take mine back since it is old. If I would have known, I could have easily just bought an older PS2 so my nephew can use it. He's only 6 and not very good at the games yet so it gives him a little advantage when he gets unlimited ammo and stuff like that.

I just hate companies that have deceptive practices and I like to bring it out in the open when they do. Maybe everyone will realize what this company is like and quit buying their products.

The whole "My machine" thing keeps ringing in my head now like an annoying song.

5. bmx3697

bmx3697 Member

Yeh that does sound like false advertising... but I don't know how far to take it, supposing you were mad enough. Anyways thanks for the heads up and on top of that you gave me a good laugh:

6. rederived

rederived Member

Here's an update.

The tech support guy did not give me the whole scoop. One of the supervisors called and we finally figured out that if you have a gameshark by interact, it wont work. They say it will work if you have one since MadCatz started making the Gamesharks. I never realized there was a difference since the name is Gameshark and all the logos are the same. To me, a gameshark is gameshark and when they say their gamesharks work, I assume it to be true for all versions. They need to be more specific on their site.

I am gonna go pick up a new version soon for my nephew. I'll give you all the heads up once I find out.

I must say the supervisor was much better than the tech support guy. All those remarks and excuses didn't need to be made so still two thumbs down for that.

Since nelswick tried the newest version and it didn't work, I am still a bit weary but we'll find out sometime soon.

7. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

that was a while ago with a version 10 ps2 before they updated the disc to support that version. you should be ok if you get one.

8. rederived

rederived Member

I went out and picked one up. No problems with it at all so far.

9. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Hey there everyone i've had the same problems with the game shark for the ps2 but instead of trying to find out why i tossed it in the garbage where it belongs, go with code breaker instead it works better and causes games not too crash while playing, (UGH i hate that) and it also accepts gs codes and the product overall is lets say CHEAPER