1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Dog and DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by FathrTime, Jan 13, 2004.

1. FathrTime

FathrTime Member

Towards the very end of the encoding portion of reauthoring 'O Brother Where Art Thou?', DVD Shrink reported the following error:

'DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue
    Failed to read File G:
    Incorrect function'

82% encoding completed
    Decryption Status C0:32:84:8B65
    Rate 4,680 KB/s
    Buffered 81Mb
    Time remaining 3 min 14 sec

I installed a Mad Dog DVD-ROM (MD-ED16E) a few weeks ago, and it appears to be working fine (i.e, plays dvds without error). This is the first time I've used it with DVD Shrink. I have the Mad Dog player (G:) and a Sony DRU-510A (F:) set up on IDE1 with Cable Select jumpered on each. The DVD Shrink program works fine on the Sony, but an identical run on the Mad Dog produces the error above. What's going wrong here? I've read that some people prefer to jumper their player and writer setups as Master and Slave instead of as Cable Select. Why? Could that be my problem here? Or, should I take this Mad Dog unit back for something else?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. FathrTime

FathrTime Member

Last night I was able to complete the encoding portion by rebooting my machine, but when I tried to repeat this reauthoring process (without rebooting), it failed as stated in my earlier post. So, I rebooted my machine again and successfully repeated the reauthoring process. What is it that DVD Shrink/Mad Dog ROM like about a freshly rebooted computer? Anybody?

3. FathrTime

FathrTime Member

Another update: I can open up the Sony tray, insert a cd (e.g., Norton Systemworkd, Nero Ultimate Edition, etc.), close the tray, and let the disc autostart, open the tray, remove the disc, and close the tray, and the DVD Shrink program will run without the error mentioned in my first post. I don't run any programs on the cd. I simply let it autostart, close the startup program, and remove the disc. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing my DVD Shrink error?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Turn off any programs that start automatically and run in the background. Then try Shrink. Also sometime if Shrink won't start or errors in a few seconds, All you need to do is start playing the movie for a couple of seconds, stop and then go back to DVDshrink. If Shrink errors later in the rip, Check the original for damage or finger prints. Backing up dvds takes most of your system resources. Any other thing operating in background could be causing your problems. Just a few things to check.
    Hope it helps.
    Jerry