1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made In...?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by JuleS7d7, Oct 7, 2003.

1. JuleS7d7

JuleS7d7 Member

What exactly is the difference with DVD-/+RW
    media: Made in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore?
    Is there better quality in the location of where the Disc are made or what? Can someone help me clear up this confusion, Thankx!!

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

DVD-R is the standard. DVD+R were formulated by Sony and Phillips. The only difference between the two is that you can record in multisession with +R discs but not with -R. Also -R are more compatible with standalone DVD players, though disc quality tends to vary more than with the +R's. DVD-R discs are generally cheaper than +R.

3. JuleS7d7

JuleS7d7 Member

What about what part of the country are they from? (ex. Made in Japan means that the disc are "Tanyo Yuden?" or something like that...

4. TL0

TL0 Member

Personally, im my experience, given a choice between 'Made in Japan' & 'Made in Taiwan', i'll choose Japan 9 times out of ten. Japanese Manufacturers have much better quality control than their Taiwanese Counterparts which leads to less fluctuation in disc quality & virtually no batch issues.

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You should get used to the brand name not where they are from since manufacturers can use factories in any one of a number of countries. If the brand works for you then stick with it.

6. sethk

sethk Member

Generally Made in Japan discs are from from either Mitsubishi Chem Corp (MCC) or Taiyo Yuden. There are probably others I'm forgetting (someone else feel free to jump in.) MCC OEM manufactures discs for Pioneer, Verbatim and others.
    In my opinion these are two of the best disc manufacturers, although TY is still rare in the DVD-R market for some reason.
    MCC also has a factory in Singapore, and their discs are also excellent.
    There are a ton of Taiwan makers, I'd say Ritek is the best. Many of the others are quite unreliable, but Ritek is top-notch.