1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.0 3.1 3.4 3.5 3.6 4.0 4.1 <---wathafuuuu????

Discussion in 'PS2' started by brad1102, Aug 12, 2003.

1. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I have the 3.1 and from reading my previous posts about it - its a great chip with truly no problems.

Now a few friends want installs and are telling me about much cheaper chips out there. They are different versions of the Magic and I'm wondering - 'are they bogus, or what?'

Please reply to this thread if you know anything at all about any Magic chips other than the 3.1 and share what you know.

Should we really be paying a premium for one chip - when there are others that will do the same job?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ciao!

2. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

every Magic 4 chip is a clone = don't get.

3. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

CHEAPER than magic 3.1
    check modchipman.com he sells them for 15.00 each or 10 for 100.00 cant get much cheaper then that

4. unwanted

unwanted Guest

whats the matter with clones, they do the same job for cheaper :)

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

ok then guys - do you know anyine that has bought a magic clone that worked well??

I want some specific information please.

Ciao!

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well....

If I bought the programming software and adaptor - copied the code form an original Magic and burned it onto another - this would make it a clone - Correct, so therefore I could sell it as a Baabaa V250,000.001 - AND it would work.....

However, the code would be the same so therefore the 'clone' would contain the same code therefore the 'clone' would be OK.......

I am very confused about ALL this clone business - from what I can see - the code IS the same - the hybrid that it is placed on is a different colour - WOW - must be a fake OR the chip is manufactured by a different company - again it must be a fake......Rubbish......

Just like the original PS1 chips - how many versions were there kickin around......????

I use Magic V3.1 on the blue hybrid AND ic is made by Ubicom - people say these are fakes - however I have checked the code out and compared it to the RED hybrid - EXACTLY the same code and checksums - NO DIFFERENCE

Also the proof is in the install - no problems yet with the So called fakes.......

You see in electronics, materials are not unlimited, so therefore if a manufacturer was running short, and their suppliers could not keep them well stocked, then they would get a concession together and source an alternative...(it is not hard to clone a hybrid and a chip)

My supplier, has given me their assurance and will warranty ANY bad Magics supplied, however as of yet I have had None....over 30 of the BLUE Ubicom ones......!!!!!!!!!

My opinion is that the Magic 3.1 is OK, and yes there is a slight speed issue regarding loading compared to that of the originals - however that is all I have found
    Just adding my 2 cents......

7. unwanted

unwanted Guest

My point exactly :)
    Clones = The same

hence the word "CLONE"

8. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Clones work more or less the same as an original. Ubicom magic chips are known to be faulty. So basically, you're alright, unless you get a magic 3.6 chip. That chip has a clip-on, which is easy to install, but it can also be easily dislodged.

9. JesterXL

JesterXL Guest

There is no magic chip over 3.1, any claims of a magic chip over 3.1 is false. Because of all this confusion, the next magic chip will be Magic V and not magic 4

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I would say that if there are magics over 3.1 - excluding the V which is coming out soon, then these are not necesarily fakes - but copies, but as they are not getting them from legit suppliers, then they have to label them up differently in order to sell them as there own and not official magics.....

Classic example is memory cards and controllers - official and non official......

ie - endorsed or not........

I could clone a memory card and sell it as the Baabaa storage master if I wanted to.......