1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.0 design defective? I definitly belive it is!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jr_, Jan 31, 2003.

1. jr_

jr_ Guest

I have had a magic 3.0 for about 2 months now. Worked fairly well. Sometimes I would have to try the reset more than once but all seemed fine.
    Vice City played original or backup. I only had one lockup so I kind of blew that off.
    I got the Getaway (original) chapter one played fine. Chapter 2 when I got to the restraint started locking up briefly. Locked for several seconds then start playing. Was so bad on the stairs it was just locking up every few seconds. It would recover after a 4 or 5 seconds.
    I was going to buy my wife a PS2 anyway so I went to the store and when I got home I loaded The Getaway and chapter 2 ran flawless. So the game and DVD are not at fault.
    I had put thermal compound on the Magic chip when I installed it. I borrowed an IC monitor from work and managed to bury it in the case over the IC. Chip was running at 59 deg. C and still the game was locking in Chapter 2. Playing while reading the temperature.
    So I got a Magic 3.1 and just removed the 3.0 and soldered at the 3.1 board in. No wires were replaced and only re-soldered at the board.
    Loaded the Getaway booted without the Magic by holding the reset for 4 seconds. Worked flawless.
    Then booted using the Magic like you would for a backup. Worked flawless.
    Made a backup booted. Chapter 2 ran flawless.

The problem: (At least my theory)
    The magic 3.0 may have a heat problem but mine was definitely not overheating. Spec. is 70 Deg C max This one was running less than 60 Deg C.
    The problem is the magic 3.0 does not stop sending the boot code and this can interfering with intense read and process on the fly games like "The Getaway".
    Magic 3.1s stop sending the boot code after 4 seconds
    It must vary from console to console because mine worked on GTA VC (except once) while other folks had a freeze problem. But "The Getaway" chapter 2 was the breaking point for mine.
    This is not to say that the heating is a non-issue. It may somehow exaerbate the problem. I have seen a lot of post claiming that installing thermal pads fixed their lockup problem.

2. freakyg

freakyg Member

I second this post. I had a 3.5 with many VC lockups. Even Devil May Cry locked up.

Swapped the 3.5 out for a 3.1 and all my issues have been resolved.

jr - what color is your 3.1? Are there 2 versions of this chip? Red and Blue?

3. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Very good deduction. You are absolutly correct. The magic 3.0 does have a few errors in its design and the continued boot code injection is the main problem. That is the very reason why the 3.1 was made. Also the the 3.1 has much better DVD9 compatibility. The messiah 2 is still the better chip but the 3.1 is good.

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

It's blue. Looks simular to the 3.0 Has V0-V7 in white ink on top the chip. This is glued on so it wouldn't be hard for someone to sell 3.0 and make them look like 3.1's
    I got mine from modchip.ca

5. freakyg

freakyg Member

I got mine from modchip.ca also and it is blue. Now they have a 3.1 that is red and they don't seem to be selling a blue one. They are claiming the red 3.1 to be the real deal.

Any thoughts?

6. jr_

jr_ Guest

Don't know Freakyg I just got this a few days ago sold as a 3.1 and indeed it does shut down.

Probaly the last batch of boards they bought to mount the 3.1's on were red. If you wanted to clone it you could get any color board you want to mount the chip on. I don't think it's significant.

You might be intrested in this:
    I found a place that is selling a little programable chip to use with the 3.0 to make it shut down after 1 min. Cost less than $10.00 US

7. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

The reason why some 3.1s are blue is because when they came out with the new code, instead of manufacturing new ones and basically wasting the thousands of 3.0 they had they simply reprogramed them w/ the new code. After that all the new chips off the essembly line were colored w/ the red pcb to identify them as being new chips.

8. freakyg

freakyg Member

jr - can you send me the link for the power down chip.

thanks.

9. jr_

jr_ Guest

It's been several years since I programmed a microcontroller or processor. I was thinking about why would anyone code this thing to just keep outputting the bootcode. It just seems so rediculous. Sounds like someone's first project.

10. jr_

jr_ Guest

Kanection.co.uk
    Search for anti-freeze

11. lectrotec

lectrotec Member

The chip is basically a bare 12c508 PIC which can be easily purchased (in fact I believe it's the same chip used for the NEO 2). :))

12. jr_

jr_ Guest

Yes it is but you have to have a PIC programmer or make one.
    I think you can download the code from this site if you have a programmer.