1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 installation questions...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by hlam, Jul 9, 2003.

1. hlam

hlam Member

Hello, I have a question on the Magic 3.1 chip.

I haven't bought this modchip yet but I am wondering if the soldering job is that much of a hassle. I have had 2 high school courses in Electronics (I and II) that dealt with the basics of soldering techniques, etc. My question is: Do you think this experience is sufficient enough to install the chip myself? Is there any way to "benchmark" your soldering skills? Also is there any efficient method (online or whatnot) to improve on this skill in a relatively short time?

My considerations, as of now, are buying a magic 3.1 from modchipman. Anyone have a bad experience w/modchipman with their 15 dollar chips (fake, etc.)? And finally, would sending in my system be the best choice for me?

Sorry for the long post but I truly appreciate this resourceful community that AfterDawn.com has spawned. Thanks for your help.

2. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

It is hard..to practice
    take a old sound card or something and try to solder a wire to the bio pins.you will need a 6x magnify glass to see them.

if you can do that then give it a try just becareful not to hold iron on ps2 board to long 1 sec max or you will kill the board

3. _useless_

_useless_ Guest

sounds like enough experience to me but it is not about knowledge it is about skill level I never took a cource in soldering but I did mine all of my mods fine and had no problems

the question is are you skilled

4. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

I had good luck with modchipman.com premod and magic 3.1 chip.

5. hlam

hlam Member

Ahh... Thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah, it's hard to measure the skill required for doing stuff like this. I'll have to think about this decision. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone can answer my question about modchipman?

Thanks

6. hlam

hlam Member

Ack, bddarkman... you answered my question while I posting. Sorry bout that and ty for your input btw.

7. JAYO

JAYO Member

This is a very hard mod, on a diffuclty chart from 1 to 10, its about an 8.

It all depends on ur mb version too, if you have a V5-V7....it'll be easy, just takes some patience and a 15w soldering iron with the smallest tip you can find.

anything before a V5 is a pain in the ass to install, and not recommended even if you have some soldering experience.

8. hlam

hlam Member

ty Jayo,

I just identified my ps2 as a ver 5/6, so I guess I'm lucky this time. The advice will be noted.

Any other suggestions/experience is appreciated.

Thanks

9. hlam

hlam Member

bump

10. bddarkman

bddarkman Regular member

ON the tip for soldering iron i use a radio shack 15 watt iron and used sand paper to make it into a sharp point.the tip needs to be very small

11. Reem4rc1

Reem4rc1 Member

I am preparing to mod my PS2. I have extensive experience modding the original PS (from back in the day) so I am up for the task.

I had a question about securing the a Magic 3.1 mod chip after soldering. Is electric tape needed to prevent shorting out the system board?

I looked everywhere and noone mentions anything about modchip placement or electric tape. Any comments?

12. jenjavier

jenjavier Member

Be very careful when u open ur ps2 it has a lot of thin connections is very hard to take the mainboard apart, also you'll be surprised of the little spots where u have to solder and be very careful not to bridge any points, mainly on the BIOS.