1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 not booting ps2 dvd-rs, but IS BOOTING PS2 CD-Rs and originals DVD

Discussion in 'PS2' started by pookeye, Feb 1, 2003.

1. pookeye

pookeye Member

Hello, here is the story, magic 3.1 was working perfectly, with DVD-rs, CD-rs, ps1 originals ps2 originals, and ps1 copies, but now, i was playing GTA vice city perfectly last week, but this week, i got that game getaway, and as of right now, it doesnt boot up dvd-rs, while playing original version of getaway, i notice the screen would freeze for like 3 seconds and get back to normal, i thought it was a loading thing in the game, but now the ps2 would play PS1 originals, ps2 originals DVDs, (FFX), and it plays pS2 copies, and ps1 copies, but now it does not boot DVD-RS, I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG, I checked my connections, and i am USING THE MAGIC 3 CLIP, this is the UNIVERSAL oNe, now i am having trouble booting DVDRs, i was wondering if anyone has any ideas, i also noticed that sometimes this would only go to a blank screen, but if u press reset enough times it would work, i was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. thanks

2. jr_

jr_ Guest

Your clip has probably moved.
    I had the same problem with the getaway.
    I changed my magic 3 to a magic 3.1 and fixed the Getaway problem
    The Getaway is so processor intensive plus streaming data realtime from the DVD that it can't handle boot code being sent continuously and the game.
    The getaway worked ok for me until the second part of Chapter 2.
    Sounds like you have a Magic 3.0 and you also have problem (Probably with the damm clip).
    If you bump your PS2 the clip can dislodge.

3. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

Jr do you know the site you got your 3.1 chip from? I have a magic 3 and have the same problems and I am thinking about changing it.

4. pookeye

pookeye Member

hello, i got it from Supleh2, great guy, good prices, i think what u should do if it does that to u. is press and hold it for 4 seconds, and then let go, sooo u can turn off the magic 3, but that is if its original DVD, if its a copy, then best thing to do in my opinion, is to maybe screw the clip, and just install the chip manually, from what i heard from frontlinep8tbal, he said its best to install the chip manual, WHICH SUCKS, but i think i will modify the clip and use it, but the only thing to not use is the stuff that is needed to install on the bios. but he even recommended not to do that, soo i dunno... hopefully it was just the clips fault, and not the 3.1 give me a response though soon as u can, or email me at pookeye@adelphia.net

maybe we can both work it out.

5. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

I did solder everything and still problems. I also swithched the w to the w1 spot that was recomended. And I tried the 4 second deal and that doesnt work either. I only get the copied movies to work is about 1 in 20.

6. pookeye

pookeye Member

well, lets first start by telling us what ur ps2 model is, and which mod chip are u using? is it a 3.1? or could it be a fake and where did u get it at... u know? hmm... umm... lets see, does it boot anything? originals? backups ps1 and ps2s? well give in great detail what u have been doing, as i have been opening and closing mine to the point of no return i finally can say i have become a little bit more informed on the ps2 modding scene. this is what experience brings u. anyways, after that then we can try to figure out what the problems are.

7. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

supleh2, a good guy????? i sent him a ps2 to get modded about 2 months ago, never heard from him again....i heard good things about him, thats why i sent it to him. He is why i was forced to learn the installation and offer my services to hopefully oneday get rid off jerks like him....sorry thats all i have to add to the thread..... i have a magic 3.1 Installed without the clip. Getaway works fines so far no freeze ups on that or vice city....forget the clip..do the job rite!

8. pookeye

pookeye Member

well, now about supleh2, well, he was nice and did ended up sending the chip, soo i dunno, but what u did, is exactly why i dont send my ps2 for someone to burn, but i mean i dunno, sorry about that, i think what u are doing is great, to learn how to solder to stop that shit from happening,

9. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

I have a ver 7 PS2 and a magic 3.5 which I changed to a magic 3 by throwing out that crappy clip and L board. It isnt the installation. I am a very good at soldering and all my points check out ok. (used continuity tester to check). And I checked them about 15 times already because of this problem. Everything plays ok on the system except the DVD backups. I usually get the dvd to load but just after it loads it comes back to the memory card screen then jumps to the famous red screen. Like I said before it will load 1 in about 20 or more trys. It isnt my burns either because they work fine with my computer. I also had a HP200i and burned signs on a +r disk and it worked with no problem. I then returned the HP cause I was having problems with it and got the Sony DRU500A. I burned a couple movies on different formats and they will not load. I only had one load one time. I went back to the disk of signs that I copied that at first worked and now it wont read either. I cant figure out what is wrong.

10. pookeye

pookeye Member

okay, soo u just had trouble playing DVD burns, okay that problem maybe fixed if u go to www.consolesource.com and look for frontlinep8tball, look for his thread that says does who cant play DVDs, and it will explain how to open the DVD lens, and do some changing of ohms, and so forth on the DVD side, or u can try to contact him from there, he would be the best person to ask... about that problem. as it seems like he has seen quite a bit of that stuff.. good luck

11. jr_

jr_ Guest

eroc23 I got my 3.1 from modchip.ca.

Be careful about turning the voltage up on the DVD. You really need an oscilloscope to do this.

Forget about the ohms on the pots reading it's almost meaningless. If it could be set by a known resistance, Sony would have just put fixed resistors and not potentiometers. The pots are a big expense not to mention the labor of adjusting them.

The reason they have to use potentiometers is because the resistance has to be adjusted for each unit. Too much variation in the lasers and the mechanical adjustments.
    Your problem sounds more like a timing issue with the boot code than a disk reading problem to me.
    It seems that some PS2 just don't sync with the boot code from the magic chips that well.

If I understand you correctly DVD movies don't work now and you still have a Magic 3.0. If so here is what I would suggest:

Try cleaning your lens first then if no luck:

Remove the Magic 3.0 completely
    Now if your DVD movies will play I think you have discovered the problem.
    The continuous sending of the boot code can interfear with the normal operation of the PS2 on some systems.
    I would just jump to a Messiah 2 since the boot code sync with the system is better.

If your DVD movies don't play without a mod chip you are going to have to resolve that before a mod has any chance of working.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2003