1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 or Messah 2?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Magus999, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Magus999

Magus999 Member

Hello. Im looking into getting a modchip, but after spending $200 on a Magic 2 that wouldnt work right with Origionals and PSX games, Im a little afraid to jump in and buy one. Now Im reading about problems with the Magic 3.1 ... some of which were easy to fix... however I have not read anything myself about the Messah 2. Am I just not reading the right threads... or is the Messah 2 way more relayable? I have a V5 US PS2.

PS The replacement chip I have now is one fo those swap chips...but for some reason I cannot boot up PS2 backups on DVD. It gets as far as the step where I put in the origional with the larger TOC size, but never ejects for the swaping to the backup with the smaller TOC. I am using a Gameshark 2.

2. jodge407

jodge407 Guest

I have not actually had any experience with any of the chips your asking about but seeing as no one has replied to your question yet I'll give you a bit of info.

I've seen very little complaints about the messiah 2. It boots DVD based PS2 backups directly along with PS1 backups. Messiah is more money but I think most people went for that instead of the Magic and the problems that I have seen on this forum are most likely bad installs or bad backups. Everyone will agree that the messiah is an excellent chip.

Magic 3.1 is the one I decided to go for because of the price and it does do direct boot of PS2 backups.

If you aren't bothered about the money go for messiah if you hard on cash like me go for the Magic 3.1 as its only 20 bucks

3. Mooshie

Mooshie Member

I don't have a Magic but I do have a Messiah 2. So far it has played every CD and DVD PS2 game I burnt, every DVD movie I burnt, and every PS1 game I burnt. It also doesn't require any sort of novelty tricks to get it working right. My friend is getting a Magic 3.1 installed in a couple of days and I can give you a report on that soon.

4. Magus999

Magus999 Member

is it me...or is this message thread doubling up words that cross the margin boarder? I highly doubt people are making the same typo

5. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

I have heard that the Magic 3.1 cannot boot many DVD Rips. Well I read the posts and I found that even the Messiah 2 Clone is good. It is available for $ 20 over here. I am gonna buy that soon

www.psxrepair.com

6. c7015

c7015 Regular member

both good chip when installed right

I have a magic 3.1 and have had no problems with any game movie ect..

as for dvd rips I dont know if you are talking about movies or games but movies I have had no problems at all with movies and game rips are not all that reliable in the first place

Last edited: Apr 18, 2003
  7. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Thanks a lot dude.

8. c7015

c7015 Regular member

no problem

9. pookeye

pookeye Member

worked fine for me. magic 3.1 worked for everything including DVD-R back ups cd-r back ups ps1 back ups. as for DVD-R movies, u dont have to have a chip for that.