1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 overheating and power, ground wires issues

Discussion in 'PS2' started by hckeyfan, Jan 6, 2003.

1. hckeyfan

hckeyfan Member

I have magic 3.1 from modchip.ca installed. Works great but lockup on vice city. From what i've been reading here, both overheating and wiring issues w/ modchip.ca wires which i used in install. Can i get verification of people who have either used thermal tape and/or switched wires and verified that was the problem. I would like to open as little as possible from here on out since it works to keep breakage risk down.

Update: Have had GTA:VC on for about 6hrs straight, no lockups. Apllied thermal paste to chips. Looks like this fixed it. Maybe wires switch just helps to keep chip cooler? Don't know, don't care, just happy it works now.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  2. iats2001

iats2001 Member

that happened to me too when i first put it in.
    After playing vice city for like 20 mins it just froze.
    I played it the next day and it froze again.
    So, i put some thermal paste between the chip and metal sheild and it hasn't locked up since.

Just do something to get the heat off of it.

3. Mr.MCSE

Mr.MCSE Guest

Hi,

Where did you get the thermal paste? Any recommendation?

4. hckeyfan

hckeyfan Member

Thermal paste as in cpu thermal paste, although I wouldn't use any artic silver or anything with metal flakes. I just tried putting some thermal paste on and have gta:vc on about 1hr so far no freezing