1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 problem: poor compatibility or dirty PS2?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by soralapio, Apr 14, 2004.

1. soralapio

soralapio Member

Up to a few weeks ago I was using a Swap Magic set to play backups and import games on my PS2. I got tired of that pretty quick, though, so after asking around a bit I came to the conclusion that the Magic 3.1 would be an ideal modchip for me (since I'd only use it to play games) and got one installed.

Unfortunately, my backups don't seem to work. I tried a few DVD-R backups that used to work with the Swap Magic, but most of the time the PS2 won't even detect the game and when it does, I get the red screen with the "Insert PS or PS2 game disc" message.

I took the PS2 back to the installer, and he tried it with a copy of NHL 2002 he had backed up on a Verbatim DVD-R. It booted perfectly. When we combined this fact with my ability to play PS1 imports and backups as well as PS2 CD-R backups, we came to the conclusion that the modchip was working.

Now, as far as I can see, this leaves two solutions.

1. The laser unit is borked. It's making awful noises and even my original games are loading much slower than they used to be. To add credibility to this theory, I noticed my DVD movie backups weren't playing either. I'm currently using Bulkpaq DVD-Rs I bought for general use.

2. The Magic 3.1 is in fact a worthless piece of crap and won't run most backups (this is the installer's theory). I tried with Manhunt, Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2 and Onimusha 2, all of which SHOULD work with the Magic 3.1.

I'm personally leaning very strongly towards the "dirty laser needs cleaning" theory. The awful noises the PS2 is making combined with the fact that my Swap Magic set usually required up to 10 reboots to get it working would lead me to believe the laser on my old V3 needs urgent adjusting and cleaning.

Before I start poking around my laser unit again (I know how to do it, but it's a bit of a hassle), what's your theory? What I'm mainly looking for here is messages from Magic 3.1 owners saying "No, dude. Those games should work." to reassure me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I recommend using Verbatim discs in the future. With a v3 console, I personally amazed that it read any media but Verbatim.

3. soralapio

soralapio Member

What about Ritek G04? Those are recommended in the Afterdawn FAQ as great discs.

I ask because the Verbatims are twice as expensive, so I'd rather not stock up on them unless I have to.

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Riteks come highly reccommended yet on many of the older machines they still have some issues. Verbatims are the best way to go if you have an older PS2 such as yours. I see no reason to think that the mod itself caused your issue. It simply patches the BIOS to make it think that all discs are genuine PS1/2 discs and should have no affect what so ever on disc reading functions. It's probably either fool's luck that your PS2 read the Riteks before or your laser is either dirty or failing which it is likely to fail at some point.

5. XziBiT13

XziBiT13 Member

are memorex and better then Bulkpaq DVD-Rs

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I don't seem to recall having much luck with Memorex when I had my v4 machine. Personally, I would buy the Riteks over Memorex or generic bulk pack.

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Note also that the burn speed could also be a factor. Always try burning at 1x or as slow as your burner supports first to see if that solves any disc read error problems.

8. soralapio

soralapio Member

Yeah, I know the modchip doesn't effect which discs my PS2 reads and which it doesn't. The modchip installer just claimed that a Magic 3.1 wouldn't boot "most backups" for some reason, which I thought was bullshit. I just ordered 25 Verbatim discs (at the cost of 50 Bulkpaq discs :)), but what about long term solutions? Is this a sign that my laser unit is going to break soon and in need of replacement or can I just carry on with Verbatim discs if I clean the laser head?

EDIT: I've burned all my games on 1x.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Your unit will likely fail at some point. It's really hard to say when but I've even seen many older PS2's which have not been modded fail.

10. soralapio

soralapio Member

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It might help but if it's an identical replacement it will probably last about as long as your old one.

12. soralapio

soralapio Member

Well, my current laser has lasted through over three years of punishment, so if I can get similiar performance out of that, I'm perfectly happy :)

But that would be the part to replace if my PS2 stops reading discs?

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It would likely be a lens failure. You could also try adjusting it. There's a few threads here discussing how to do that.

14. soralapio

soralapio Member

Yeah, I'll try cleaning and adjusting it first, naturally. Thanks for your help, BTW.