1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 - PROPER solder points needed!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by daem0n, Feb 6, 2003.

1. daem0n

daem0n Member

I have a fire red Magic 3.1 mod chip and clip kit. I've also got a 30001 v2 1c PS2. I've looked at NUMEROUS web sites and they have different solder points. I just want the points for the Magic 3.1!...not the 3.0, not the 3.5. Wouldn't the solder points for the clip be the same as if you didn't, except for the bios?... To give you an example of what I'm talking about - one picture has 6 connections to the square IC on the top of the PCB...while the other picture has only 4 connections on this IC? Let me know which one you think is right...thanks, -Joe

2. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

The 3.1 has the same solder points as the 3.0. as for the pics your talking about give me a link so I can check it out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  3. daem0n

daem0n Member

hey L-Dubb, thanks for the reply...here are the links to two different pics:

http://www.chipzone.com/installation/playstation2/magic3/V2/v2.jpg (this is the one that you would use without the clip I presume?)

http://www.modchip.ca/install/ps2/clip/clip4instal.php (go down to where it says 3000x v2 No Gap - this is the install with the clip)

Anyhow, both motherboards are the same, although the pics are different solder points?...it doesn't make sense. I've been told from modchip.ca that both pics are for magic 3.1, so it doesn't make sense to me. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, -Joe

4. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

They are using alternate points to make the install easier. The points are the same in a few of them, its just that if you follow the trace it will lead you to an easier point to solder to than soldering the pins so close together. I would go w/ the alternates shown in the second picture since you dont have much experience. Hope that helps.

5. daem0n

daem0n Member

hey L-dubb, thanks for the reply, I thought they might be alternates, although I hadn't seen any for this version - so that makes sense, thanks. Although, the alternates are on the bottom of the board and to get access it looks like I need to take solder off according to other people's messages?...(because it's an old PS2)...I'm thinking of forgetting about the S-wire since I heard it's not needed except for PS1 games and I don't want to mess up my brother's PS2...any suggestions?

6. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Yeah the S wire is on the other side. If you dont care about ps1 games then forget about it. Be careful not to burn the bios, then it is all over.

7. daem0n

daem0n Member

thanks a lot for the help - I'm still going to use the clip for the bios, but juse use the top connections for the wires..;)