1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 / V5 PS2 CDR booting problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by cosxp, Apr 26, 2003.

1. cosxp

cosxp Member

I just installed magic 3.1 on v5 and current ps2 status is:

ps1 cdr: boot OK.
    ps2 dvd game: boot ok.
    ps2 cdr: boot failed. (not sure if source is
    from CDR or dvd ripped) tried 2 games.

I've tried several different booting method
    and I can't make it boot.
    Any expert could give me an advise on most common mistake made or experience for trouble shooting ?

I've used 30 gauge wires, replacing GND wire with thicker one would be help ?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2003
  2. telescope

telescope Regular member

The only thing anybody will tell about this issue would bethat to recheck ur soldering points
    Or just use a better use a better quality DVD or CD for copying
    For DVD - Verbatim
    For Cds - Imation

3. cosxp

cosxp Member

Does ps2 cdr booting procedure is
    single tap on reset button from sleep mode ?

4. cosxp

cosxp Member

I've re-opened ps2 and checked every solder point with test meter and all seems connected ok. Still ps2 cdr is not booting and I'm suspecting magic chip is defected, however ps1 cdr boots ok even it's burned at 48x speed on 80 min cdr (tekken3).

Can someone tell me good ps2 cdr title for booting test ? I've tried dynasty warrior 4 and ridge racer 5 (They are burned at 48x/80 min/ imation).

Also I'd like to know the booting screen procedure. For ps1 after hold reset button until eject light lits up, it shows sony logo and showing browser screen 0.5 second and show ps1 logo.

Booting PS2 tapping reset button from sleep mode shows sony logo -> Browser screen (3-4 seconds) -> Red screen.

5. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

The problem is more than likely the fact that they are rips. The 3.1 does not play rips very well. I have a ton of them and the boot rate is about 45-50% on them on a 3.1. But a messiah 2 and the DMS3 boot them 100%. Try to copy a CD based game like virtua fighter 4 and see if it works. There is a thread on here somewhere that has a complete list of all the CD based games for ps2.

6. cosxp

cosxp Member

Well I re-opened ps2.. it become my
    hobby after works.. -_- ..

I found one wire that hooked to magic chip is not firm. I resolder it and try to book ridge racer 5 CD.. and..oh what a surprise.. it boots up. But that's it.. that's the only first and last boot.

Now the booting screen is little bit different then last time which never worked.

PS2 screen -> Browser (0.5 sec) -> goes black (1-2 sec) -> No data (0.5 sec) and disc spin stops -> dread red screen.

Can someone give me clue ?

7. Juggles96

Juggles96 Member

I've had the same problem with my Magic 3.6 on v.7 board. I can play PS1-CDR and DVD rips, but not PS2-CDR or PS2-DVDR.

I've tried several games and used several burning tool with no success. When I emailed the support from where I got it, they just told me I was burning it wrong. But when I tried their method it still didn't work.

Hopefully someone will have a good suggestion

8. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

PS1 games & DVD Movies
    - For PS1 games & DVD Movies, power up from STANDBY with RESET button held until the blue EJECT light comes on; then release RESET and the disk will boot.
    Please turn off the PS2 (to standby) before changing Mode (PS1/PS2/DVD)

9. cosxp

cosxp Member

After spending few days with it, I finally figure it out.
    There's was nothing wrong with chip or
    installation or media.
    I have to stand ps2 sideway (50/50 success chance of booting) or just flip it (99% booting successful) when I need to boot and after I see ps2 logo, just stans ps2 sideway or normal way.
    I'll might try laser head alignment for the next job.

10. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Wow! LOL you do need to. Thats funny and alot of work to get the game going.

I usually just kick mine...Hard ;)