1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.1 + V7 PS2 + problems :(

Discussion in 'PS2' started by djmonsoon, Mar 12, 2003.

1. djmonsoon

djmonsoon Member

I just got my V7 PS2 mod'd with the 3.1 chip. But when I tried loading some DVD-R backups, none of them boot up. I tried some of my CDR backups and they seem to work. All the original games work. The person that mod'd the unit for me thinks I should try some more high end media like Verbatim...any suggestions or is this the only way?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Thomas[/small]

2. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

give it a try. I have a v7 and i use maxell dvd-r and memorex cdr.

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

Well yes verbatim is about as good as it gets but if they are not booting at all I doubt that a little better refectivity is going to help.

If they worked but skipped or hung on some games then I would suggest a different media.

Not booting DVD's but working on CD's is usually a mod problem and a very common one for Magic Mods. The boot of DVD's with a Magic is marginal to start with. If everything is connected correctly and you have checked and rechecked try the alternate point for W use W1 this is necessary on some PS2's to get the timing close enough to work.

4. lawns

lawns Member

I wanted to add something to this line of questions if I could. I too have a v7 (USA) and a psone and have used memorex cdr's for all the games on my psone and all have worked great. I recently bought the 3.1 modchip for the ps2 and only half of my games from psone (memorex cdr) work on the ps2 and even then those try to not work by it saying "please insert a ps or ps2 format disc." Could either of you try to help me with this problem. I have been told anywhere from different media to adjusting the laser (my ps2 is 3 months old). Any help would be most appreciated.

5. jr_

jr_ Guest

I don't have a lot of experience with PS1 backups
    Even the orginal PS1's can be a hazzle to boot with a Magic chip.
    How does it do on PS2 backups?
    DVD's and CD's

If all is well after the bootup no skiping or hanging on CD's then I don't think the problem would be with the laser.

6. lawns

lawns Member

Jr_, The only backups of PS2 I have tried are Half-Life and Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets (Both are CD-r (Memorex) and it just goes to the "format disk" screen (red screen what everyone calls it, I believe). I hear the laser trying to read it, but then gives up like I was reading in other websites. Is there something I am still doing wrong? Thanks.

7. jr_

jr_ Guest

Either the copies are not good or your mod is not working. Probably the mod is not working. Does not sound like an issue with the laser or media quality.
    Do you know someone else that has a modded PS2 you can check your copies out on or have them try yours?