1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3/3.1 chips ..clones..and BIOS flashing..

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Edmundo22, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Edmundo22

Edmundo22 Guest

Hi,

I wanted to start a thread that cleared up alot of confusion surrounding Magic 3 and 3.1 chips. These chips are designed to direct boot CDR and DVD backups from ALL regions.

1. Be wary of clones of the magic chips.. the original magic 3 is a blue chip and the original 3.1 has a red PCB. Dont buy it unless it is an original , otherwise you will most likely run into problems.

1. correct me if im wrong but the only difference between a Magic 3 and a 3.1 is that the 3.1 can play dvd9 while the 3 can not.

2. They guy who installed my Magic 3 said these chips were flashable/upgradable..does anyone have any experience or links on this?

3. does the mod chip affect the quality of the game at all or is it just used to overcome security issues??

(btw I use a magic 3, it plays all backups so far no probs-i was looking for a cost-effective solution..being a cheap bastard atm.)

2. MagicPS2

MagicPS2 Guest

1. Original Magic 3.1 chips were on blue PCB boards too.

1. Both can play DVD9 I believe.

2. They are not.

3. Quality is not affected.

3. Edmundo22

Edmundo22 Guest

Thx for the info mate.

4. XDevil

XDevil Member

haha no, the magic 3 is not DVD9 at all, only the magic 3.1, and believe me, if you got a magic 3.1 on a blue pcb board, then you got a clone lol

5. WEStar

WEStar Active member

devil magic3 supports dvd9 it was the magic2 that didn't support dvd9. Edmundo, the guy that told you the magic3 is flashable was bullshiting you big time 'cause it's not. Have you tried playing kingdom hearts and granf theft auto:VC on the magic3 supposedly they freeze. As far as I know magic3.1 only comes with red PCB.

6. Edmundo22

Edmundo22 Guest

Yeah I thnk he was talking bout the Messiah2 chips, otherwise I agree.

Nah the RED PCB chips are new 3.1's, Blue chips are the older 1's,ie. http://www.kanection.co.uk/product.php/10/0/

It boots all my backups including splinter cell.

7. WEStar

WEStar Active member

messiah2 is also not flashable the only flashable mod out there is DMS3.