1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.5 BIOS Chip Clip Problem - P2 V7

Discussion in 'PS2' started by DILLIGAF, Jan 11, 2003.

1. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

I just purchased a red Magic 3.5 Mod Chip that comes with the BIOS chip clip. I haven't been able to get any PS2 backups to work. PS1 backups and standard CDs work and PS2 standard CD also still work. After reading many posts on different forums in regards to the BIOS Chip clip in general I have noticed many people have had problems with this clip. I had a professional rework person do all the soldering of wires and L-shaped board on the backside so I know that work is ok. When I first fired up the P2 after the rework was done no backups would play. I ripped the P2 apart and re-seated the BIOS chip clip and after that I was only able to get P1 backups to work, still no P2 backups.

After doing some more reading I've been looking more closely at the install pics and notices that all the V7 boads have a BIOS chip with no gap between the legs on both side. In my case I have a Version 7 board and it's stamped GH-019 which is listed as V7 but the BIOS chip has a gap similar to the V4/V5 type boards. My questions is, is this normal for a V7 board or have I got some new spin of the board form Sony that nobody has run into yet?

I have checked the BIOS clip connections with the tester provided and everything checks out ok. The funning thing is that a friend and I both have V7 boards, bought the same Magic 3.5 mod chips, and had the same rework person so all the work. His works with no problem and I still can't get mine to work.

I've had this P2 apart about 50 time and I'm running out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    DILLIGAF

2. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

I had the same problem with mine. Everything worked except the PS2 backups. I tried everything and had my playstation open as much as you. The clip is junk. It comes loose when you move it around. I just got it to work today and this is what I did. Cut the wires off the bio board and solder them directly. Use the diagram for the magic 3 chip. The last 3 wires will be left unused. Then look at the L shaped clip. In the diagrams it shows that there is 4 solder points but in the next pictures there is 5 spots soldered. There should only be 4. The one on the left should not be soldered even if it shows it in the diagrams. As I said before just follow the diagram for the Magic 3 and solder those spots. I ended up removing both the clip and the L board and soldered everything to the wires and now it works fine. Let me know how you make out. And make sure none of your solder spots touch anything else but what they are supposed to be soldered to.

3. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

Thanks Eroc23...I think the main problem may be with my L-Board. I ohmed it out and it looks like I may have a short on the board. I'm going to take your advice and solder wires directly to the back of the board while still using the chip clip. If that doesn't work, I will solder the BIOS chip wires directly too.

By the way, it is normal for the version 7 BIOS chip to have a gap in the middle of the legs on both sides? All the drawing I have seen of V7 type boards have a BIOS chip with no gap.

4. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

One more question Eroc23...If I decide to solder the BIOS wires directly, what do I do witht he last 3 wires?

5. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

As far as I know there is a gap between all the wires except the V and R legs. Those two are next to each other. Look at this site it should help http://www.psxtune.com/psx2/images/magic3_v7.jpg
    I hope that explains what you were asking.

The last three wires I just cut and taped off with some electricial tape. Also if you got some of that heat transfer tape ( the white little retangle looking thing ) put that right on the chip. That keeps it cool. I heard there are a lot of overheating problems with the chip.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2003
  6. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

Thanks Eroc23...Actually I'm talking about how the BIOS chip physically looks. My BIOS chip is has 3 legs in a row missing in the middle on both sides of the chip. Looks similar to the V5 P2 board BIOS chips. All drawing I've seen of V7 BIOS chips have all the legs showing (25 legs on each side). My V7 BIOS chip only has 22 legs on each side. I'm afraid to use the drawings for wiring the chip direct to the BIOS chip if mine is different. They may have condenced the number of legs for a reason and rewrote the BIOS functions. Anyway, I'm just trying to confirm if this is normal for a V7 board. Thanks for the help.

7. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

I know what you are talking about now. Mine also had the gaps in it. I am not sure how many legs though I threw the clip out. What you have to do is look on the Magic chip itself. There should be the letters on the chip for each leg. Directly across from the letters is the corresponding wire just match the letter/wire up to the spot on the bios. Its pretty easy. I wasnt sure I should have did what I did at first but now I am glad I went through with it.

8. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

Thanks Eroc23 for all the help. I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

9. jd_1977

jd_1977 Member

I bought a Magic 3.5 off of modchip.com and experienced the same results spoken of here. Everything worked except for PS2 backups. What I found was that the problem lied in the L shaped flex circuit. Upon careful examination I noticed that there was no trace going to the pad associated with the H circuit. I pitched the flex circuit and soldered the four wires directly to the back side of the board. Works great now.

I tend to agree that the chip clip is less than perfect, but it does simplify the installation quite a bit. I personally am not a big fan of the amount of pressure that has to be put on the BIOS IC in order to get good connections. Nevertheless, I do not forsee any problems with it once it is on there, tested, and secured in place by sandwiching it between the metal brackets with thermal tape.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps those out there who are struggling.