1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

magic 3.5 v7 ps2 installation problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by netpest, Dec 27, 2002.

1. netpest

netpest Member

having problems with 3.5 modchip v7 PS2. have soldered all wires, but having problems as follows : switch on - blank screen, after several attempts can get original PS2 game to work, any back-up PS1 or original PS1 games will not boot.

i have question on solder joint C in diagram, as to exactly where to solder.

can anyone help?! cheers :)

2. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Which diagram are you using?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  3. netpest

netpest Member

thx for your prompt reply! :)

am using the one from modchip.com

4. netpest

netpest Member

Damm mistake in typing my problem is with contact S on the diagram from modchip.com for v7 PS2 modechip 3.5. (do i bridge the joint?) Kids present and loads of backup PS1 games they want to play. Someone please be a Father Christmas and help me sort this :) cheers.

5. netpest

netpest Member

someone help pleeeeeeeeeease! lol

is it just me that finds installing this chip extreemely frustrating? i chipped several psx's with relative ease, and went into modchipping my ps2 with fair confidence and am now left very disappointed that after 3 attempts the damn thing is still not playing psx back-ups and now needs reseting up to 10 times to play an original ps2 game.

has *anyone* else had these problems?

am not pointing fingers to a faulty chip yet.. or should i be looking along those lines?

6. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

I am having the same problem with the "S" wire. It isn't plain to see where the wire should go!!!

7. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

8. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Yes you bridge it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2003
  9. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

I have everything soldered but the chip still doesn't work :(. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this or install it for me?

10. nologo

nologo Guest

I just installed a Magic 3 on a PS2 v7 and I encountered the same problem. I finally narrowed it down to the piece of cr#p optional clip that I paid extra for.

I turns out that the clip would never properly clip to the chip so the entire modchip was being bypassed. I ended up soldering all the additional wires which turned out to be quite manageable. My unit can now boot PSX disks but it is still having problems with PS2 backups (I posted a new message on this topic just a while ago so any help would be appreciated).

As for the S connection, you have two options which I figured out the hard way. You can either solder it to the end of the "brown" resistor(?) or the end of the "numbered" resistor(?). They both represent the same contact point so either will work. I found this out the hard way because when I originally soldered the wire on the brown resistor and then tried to move the wire, the entire solder point was ripped from the circuit board. Thankfully, the resistor was still on the board but the entire metal patch was gone. I then resoldered the wire to the numbered resistor and carefully taped down the wire so it would not move.

Hope this helps.

11. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

You said it was easy for you to install the chip, but you're still having problems with PS2 backups not PS1 backups. What this means is you didn't do a good job installing the chip, you just installed the S, rst, gnd, and 5v wires correctly. Didn't you guys get clip testers? Atripp I can install the chip for you.

12. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

I got the clip tester. I have good solder points on all of my wires. I have a qusetion though. On wires M-r and Grd. I have the board that the wires plug into so no soldering is needed with those. It looks like though on the back of that board there is a place for a chip to be. Should there be on there or should that plug into one on the ps2 board somewhere? How much would you $$ me to install. I just don't understand all of my wires are hooked up.

13. nologo

nologo Guest

If you are referring to me, I definitely did not say that it was easy. I've checked all the connections multiple times and I am absolutely sure that the connections are correct. I even tried the new "W1" connection that modchip.ca suggested form problems with DVD loading issues but that didn't help.

I used the clip tester and of course, everything tests fine when the unit is apart. But after putting all the multiple layers back together, the clip would come off at some point. I even tried taping the thing down but nothing helped. I assume other people have no problems with it so I guess I got a lemon.

14. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

Also would you advice maybe to just cut the wires from the clip chips and solder wires as if it is a magic 3 chip?

15. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Nologo, you could have put your ps2 back together with only 1 screw in each place there are screws and that would have helped keep things from pressing your clip down and making it come loose.

16. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

$60 for a Magic 3.5 installation. Guaranteed turnaround time of 1 day for 3.5 chips. I have to run, I'll check out what you posted later and see if I can find the info you asked for.

17. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

Nologo How many clip boards did you get with yours? I got 2 of them. One of which has a solder point and the other one which has nothing. It looks like there is suppose to be a chip or it clips on the ps2 board somewhere an the other clip board that I got.

18. nologo

nologo Guest

Thanks for the suggestion but I already removed the clip and gave it back to my cousin (the chip was a x-mas present). But you got me thinking that I probably screwed up somewhere with the wires that I soldered in place of the clip. I'll have to get it back from him and open up the damn thing again for the 100th time :(

19. nologo

nologo Guest

In addition to the "U" shaped board that is soldered to the Magic 3, I got two additonal boards - the clip board and the "L" shaped board with the solder points.

The clip board definitely clips to the main board of the PS2. If you look at this page from modchip.ca http://www.modchip.ca/install/ps2/magic3/clip210v7/clip3-210.php , it clips on the rectangular chip that is located on the bottom of the section with the big "V7". The other "L" shaped board has to be soldered to the underside of the mainboard.

20. atripp19

atripp19 Guest

Thanks nologo. Well I got it clipped on the chip. It didn't go on very easy but it is on there. I'm going to put it back together and I'll let you know.